Premed 101 Forums

LASIK in dental school

Hey all,

LASIK, good or bad idea? Not wearing glasses (or even contacts) would make clinic easier. Does that affect wearing loupes?

I realize most people are pre dent, but any other dental student care to comment?

Hey Daryn,

We wear Loupes (magnifying glasses) for clinic and pre-clinic activities. I have a slight prescription and they just took my most recent prescription and included that in my Loupes lenses, so I only use my regular glasses for lectures.

M

Hey Daryn,

We wear Loupes (magnifying glasses) for clinic and pre-clinic activities. I have a slight prescription and they just took my most recent prescription and included that in my Loupes lenses, so I only use my regular glasses for lectures.

M

I second this. My husband is a dentist and he just had prescription lenses put into the frames his loupes are mounted on. And when he's not wearing his loupes, he actually finds wearing glasses to be a good thing because it keeps all kinds of debris out of his eyes.

Hey Daryn,

M

You are wearing loupes already?? (if I remember correctly, you are in first year?) Is that included in your tuition or do you have to fork money out yourself? The vast majority of our class haven't bought ours yet.

You are wearing loupes already?? (if I remember correctly, you are in first year?) Is that included in your tuition or do you have to fork money out yourself? The vast majority of our class haven't bought ours yet.

I am in first year and the cost of Loupes is included in tuition. We were all fitted in the first week, they came in about a month later and we've been using them ever since. I find them really helpful and would recommend getting them so you can see your work more clearly (without back or eye strain!).

:)

We are using loupes as well in first year at UWO. I wouldn't recommend getting Lasik done on your eyes while you are a student since your prescription may not be stable yet...mine is still changing. I wear my contacts on days that I wear loupes so that I don't have to switch back and forth between my glasses and loupes. And I chose not to have a prescription put into the loupe glasses (flip ups), but if I want to later on I can have an optometrist add a prescription. Our loupes were covered in tuition, but some students chose to upgrade from the basic model or had strong prescriptions so they had to pay an additional fee.

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone,

I decided to revive this thread because I recently had a consultation for laser eye surgery and I think I'm gonna get it done because I have really bad vision (-6.0 eek) and I don't want to rely on my contacts for the rest of my life, especially now that I'm going to be a dentist :)

The main thing that I'm worried about is becoming far-sighted when I'm in my 40s... they told me that this happens to everyone regardless of whether or not they've had the surgery and that I'll probably have to wear reading glasses when I'm older. (And that if I didn't get the surgery I'd probably have to wear bifocals). Do older dentists need reading glasses to do work? I don't really know many dentists or anyone who has gotten laser eye surgery so any info you have is appreciated!

Oh and I'd be getting it done ASAP before I start dental school in Sept. Sound like a good time or should I wait? I'm 22 and my prescription is relatively stable, I think the only reason it gets worse is because I'm dependent on my contacts.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I decided to revive this thread because I recently had a consultation for laser eye surgery and I think I'm gonna get it done because I have really bad vision (-6.0 eek) and I don't want to rely on my contacts for the rest of my life, especially now that I'm going to be a dentist :)

The main thing that I'm worried about is becoming far-sighted when I'm in my 40s... they told me that this happens to everyone regardless of whether or not they've had the surgery and that I'll probably have to wear reading glasses when I'm older. (And that if I didn't get the surgery I'd probably have to wear bifocals). Do older dentists need reading glasses to do work? I don't really know many dentists or anyone who has gotten laser eye surgery so any info you have is appreciated!

Oh and I'd be getting it done ASAP before I start dental school in Sept. Sound like a good time or should I wait? I'm 22 and my prescription is relatively stable, I think the only reason it gets worse is because I'm dependent on my contacts.

Thanks!

My prescription is even worse than yours... I'm still pre-dent but I thought I would tell you my story any way. I have -7.50 in both eyes, and my vision has been stable for 3 years (since I started university). I also wear contacts (had them since I was 13), but I don't think they were ever the cause of my prescription getting worse. I went for the laser eye consultation with LASIK and Gimble Eye Centre, and I'm in fact going to get it done next week (with Gimbel) :D

Everyone by the time they reach their mid 40s or so will have to wear reading glasses. For me, that's not a problem seeing as how I've been wearing glasses since I was 6. Heck I would even be fine at -2.00. What I was told is that being nearsighted actually reduces your farsightedness in the future and that your farsightedness may occur later than the average person who has never worn glasses before.

I think doing it now sounds like a good time, and I'm doing it at age 20. :)

Good luck!

well, keep me updated when u guys have it done.

I am nearsighted 7.5 both eyes and they are getting worst. I m 25 and my myopia is still not stable.

For infection control, you have to wear something to protect ur eyes anyways even if they are perfect.

I wear contacts in clinic coz few loupes allows build-in prescription when it's 3.0 and over. [and by 7.5 i m pretty much out of luck] Plus no point ordering prescription loupes when my eyes are not stable.

well, keep me updated when u guys have it done.

I am nearsighted 7.5 both eyes and they are getting worst. I m 25 and my myopia is still not stable.

For infection control, you have to wear something to protect ur eyes anyways even if they are perfect.

I wear contacts in clinic coz few loupes allows build-in prescription when it's 3.0 and over. [and by 7.5 i m pretty much out of luck] Plus no point ordering prescription loupes when my eyes are not stable.

Well you have to wear these plastic things over your eyes for the first couple of days when you're sleeping so that you don't rub your eyes in your sleep. For infection control, you take Vigamox (antibiotic eyedrops), on top of lubricating drops (every 30 min when you're awake, in the first few days)

I had LASIK about 5 years ago, I had to have it re-done on each eye because my eyes regressed down to -1 after a year. My original prescription was moderate to severe (-4).

From what I read, the more severe your prescription, the more likely at least partial regression is because of how much they have to correct.

I had very very thick corneas, so even after 2 surgeries, they are still thick enough to touch up if I needed it.

I would not recommend getting it done with such a severe prescription unless you have corneas thick enough to get the procedure redone at least once.

There are side effects, which have lessened as the technology gets better, but they still exist, especially with major correction. However, on the bright side, my vision has been stable at better than 20/20 for years.

That said, I still have to squint to sometimes because of side effects with light. I also cannot focus at all if I am looking at bright blue light, which is thankfully rare. Red light is also a little funny, but manageable; whereas blue light causes a headache similar to looking through someone elses glasses.

I hated glasses the entire decade that I wore them, and I injured my corneas with contacts on multiple occasions, so these side effects are worth it to me.

When it comes to loupes, I don't start dental school until sept, but I have worked with loupes in neuroscience and I've had no difficulty at all.

Also, get the lifetime insurance if they offer it. Both of my touch ups were free.

Thanks for all your input stresso and malkynn!

LASIK MD told me at my consultation that with my prescription I have a 20-25% chance of regression (eek), but I would be getting the new "Advanced Custom Wavefront" aka Zyoptix surgery which apparently takes less off the cornea so it's ok for people with thin corneas (I have normal corneas). It also comes with the lifetime insurance so I'd be getting the free touchups... hopefully I won't need them!

I'm still not sure if I'm gonna go through with the surgery this year, I may wait until after 1st year to see if it's really necessary for me.

Thanks for all your input stresso and malkynn!

LASIK MD told me at my consultation that with my prescription I have a 20-25% chance of regression (eek), but I would be getting the new "Advanced Custom Wavefront" aka Zyoptix surgery which apparently takes less off the cornea so it's ok for people with thin corneas (I have normal corneas). It also comes with the lifetime insurance so I'd be getting the free touchups... hopefully I won't need them!

I'm still not sure if I'm gonna go through with the surgery this year, I may wait until after 1st year to see if it's really necessary for me.

Does anyone know the difference between Zyoptix and Intralase if there is one? I should've asked when I went for my consultations lol

Does anyone know the difference between Zyoptix and Intralase if there is one? I should've asked when I went for my consultations lol

Hi there,

There are 2 steps on lasik procedure, the first one is the creation of the flap in your cornea using either microkeratome blade OR using laser (Intralase/bladeless lasik/double laser lasik). Then the surgeon will fold back the flap, and the second step will be the actuall reshaping of your eyes using laser. After that the corneal flap is put back into its original location and you are good to go. Recovery time is usually 1-2 days to a week.

Just want to give my 2 cents. I got a PRK type laser eye surgery, this one does not involve creation of flaps (and thus safer, generally). The laser directly shaping my cornea in one step, and then a protective contact lens is placed for 3 days. That 3 days is rather inconvenient and painful at times, people said it is more painful than lasik. I would say I am ok after 1 week, but the visual acuity improvement is rather slow. I reached 20/20 only after 1 month.

Important to consider: if you are physically active, there is a risk that the corneal flap will jar/torn if something happen to your eyes. Moreover, the surgeon said that the flaps that are created during LASIK procedure never fully reattach :eek: f

Ultimately, try to get as much info as possible. Compare several different places and beware of cheap price! Try to look at some youtube clips. It gives you an idea of what actually happen during the procedure

oh yes, definietly get the one with wavefront, which accurately map the topography of your eyes, so that the surgery can be tailored specific for your eyes.

Well I'm doing the Intralase Lasik and personally, it seems a lot better than PRK, and it's also a newer procedure. I guess it really depends on the person. I asked at the consultations how many people would actually choose PRK over Lasik and they said maybe like 2 in a year.

Archived