Premed 101 Forums

Re-applying for next cycle!:(

angel-60

My GPA 3.66 and my MCAT is 12/12/8 P, 10/9/10 Q I applied this cycle for American MEd school, but I am on hold for GWU, Penn, and interview for Wayne, Rejected from Georgetown, Boston, Sunny without interview, I finished all secondaries by October, I dont think there will be any chance this year for me, since I dunt know if I can afford Wayne, but For next year I decided to go for master, and volunteer for hospital and shelter, I also think to write the MCAt again, Although Master is not really help for state, but Do you think higher MCAT, and better EC can help me to get interview in cheaper American med school like UVM, SUNNY, How high my MCAT should be?and if I apply while I am doing my master in CAnada can I withdraw from master program in case of acceptance?

My GPA 3.66 and my MCAT is 12/12/8 P, 10/9/10 Q I applied this cycle for American MEd school, but I am on hold for GWU, Penn, and interview for Wayne, Rejected from Georgetown, Boston, Sunny without interview, I finished all secondaries by October, I dont think there will be any chance this year for me, since I dunt know if I can afford Wayne, but For next year I decided to go for master, and volunteer for hospital and shelter, I also think to write the MCAt again, Although Master is not really help for state, but Do you think higher MCAT, and better EC can help me to get interview in cheaper American med school like UVM, SUNNY, How high my MCAT should be?and if I apply while I am doing my master in CAnada can I withdraw from master program in case of acceptance?

you may want to work on your written english first....

your gpa seems good, but your mcat is unbalanced. That may be something to improve on.

Apply early, try to do your mcat again (if you have time) and don't do a grad degree as a backup. Not worth it. Worst comes to worst, do a special 5th year of undergrad to further improve your GPA.

2 things

1) you need to tell your PI that you will be applying to meds in the first year of your masters. If you just bail, that is extremely unprofessional.

2) you are writing the mcat for the 3rd time, which means you need to substantially improve on your scores, but even then you might run into troubles. Consider the following from U maryland's FAQ:

We expect that many students, if not the majority, will take the MCAT on at least two occasions. In that scenario we will look at the best scores, which are usually in the second set. If those scores are competitive the fact that you have taken the test twice will not matter at all. This may change if you take the test more than two times. Even with improving scores, your application, in terms of the MCAT exam, may be deemed to be a bit less competitive overall if you have taken the test three, four or more times.

My suggestion to you, go to the Wayne interview. UVM is pretty expensive at 46k. SUNY upstate is the only one substantially cheaper than the rest.

a41, a regular on these boards, estimated the costs to be closer to 73k/year for wayne. OSAP gives around 8.6/year and you can get an LoC for 150k. Between working in the summers/deferring acceptance to work a year it really can be done. Ultimately depends on the sacrifices you are willing to go.

Xylem29 if you are out there, this OP could use your story. Basically xylem had an acceptance to wayne that he declined, and does regret it now.

I'm pretty sure most schools won't take you seriously if you say you're in the middle of your master's and that you'll drop out if they accept you.

The fact that you'd so willingly drop out of the Master's shows that your heart isn't in it and it's going to be such painful two years of your life.

It's not the only way to boost your application.

You could travel, do SWAP program in Europe (probably working a menial job yes but still you could travel Europe), explore other health care careers (I know that's not what anybody wants to hear but there are a lot of options out there), learn something completely new like acting or cooking (of course you'd need to work in a service industry to afford it), work in a farm picking berries, teach MCAT prep courses, volunteer at five or six agencies at the same time, work as a nanny overseas, work on a cruise boat, learn how to scuba-dive and teach scuba-diving at a fancy resort, etc.

Of course, research experience will also give you a strong boost, especially if you get publication, but why not do something you'd enjoy more?

And research experience isn't exactly a necessity unless you're aiming for the research-oriented schools, which just happen to be the most competitive schools.

Okay, a few things. First, we are just throwing out ideas that could help you (or anyone who reads these posts later) realize their dream of becoming a doctor. Working on a farm in Europe (and coming home with great stories to tell) would probably help your American application just as much as going to grad school, and you'd enjoy it a lot more.

Next, you need to decide what your goals are. Do you want to go to medical school in the US or in Canada? What about residency? Where do you want to practice?

Do you want to spend 2+ years "improving" your application just so you can get into a slightly cheaper med school?

You sound like a perfect candidate for the Carribean. I.e. Good MCAT + good GPA means you can probably do well in any med school and survive the weeding out process over there, but something else is wrong with your application that would likely take years to fix to get in somewhere in North America. Again just my CDN$0.02, sorry if it suodns harsh.

what is the deal with going to Farm?? I asked you about how can I improve my application!!!:mad: I have 1 year research experince with head of department and no publication,

I met a German backpacker in one of the islands in Thailand who had worked for a while on a farm in Aus. Seemed like a pretty fun way to spend some time and still get to do other things.

Working on a farm in Europe (and coming home with great stories to tell) would probably help your American application just as much as going to grad school, and you'd enjoy it a lot more.

Have you ever worked on a farm? Or done any back-breaking physical labor? That sh!t SUCKS and most of us velvety-handed premeds won't be able to handle it. There's a reason why jobs like construction get paid a lot - cuz they ****ing suck BALLS.

Have you ever worked on a farm? Or done any back-breaking physical labor? That sh!t SUCKS and most of us velvety-handed premeds won't be able to handle it. There's a reason why jobs like construction get paid a lot - cuz they ****ing suck BALLS.

advantage JOCHI, but going abroad is a good idea, just gotta find something up your alley OP.

PS I love how my quote made it to your sig!!

Archived