Premed 101 Forums

summer research scholarship?

xxwsmrf

hey everyone! I'm applying for summer research positions and the supervisor I found wants me to get some scholarship. But he is not eligible for NSERC. Is there any other undergrad research scholarship I can apply? I've done quite some research and haven't been able to find any. Thank you for your help!

thank you boodog! I'm 2nd year at U of T. There are some summer research programs in some departments. But this supervisor I found doesn't belong to any summer research programs I know. So I'm thinking if there are some generic scholarships like NSERC that I can apply.

okay well, say for instance you are studying cystic fibrosis. There is the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation that does summer studentships. Say you're doing arthritis: There are studentships offered through the Rheumatologists association of canada. Mental Health I know also has summer studentships.

What are you studying? I can try and help, let me know if you need.

hey boodog, my supervisor's research is about neurodegenerative diseases. I hope that there are some neurology societies that provide undergrad scholarships for researches on these diseases or pathobiology in general. And I really appreciate your help!

Guest soaring_eagle

I suppose having a scholarship is the best option -- however, some schools also have study-work programs, where if you qualify a large portion of your salary is paid by the program and not your proff (doesn't look as good on resume, but is still worth a shot if you need to)

I suppose having a scholarship is the best option -- however, some schools also have study-work programs, where if you qualify a large portion of your salary is paid by the program and not your proff (doesn't look as good on resume, but is still worth a shot if you need to)

thank you, but I'm not eligible for work-study as I couldn't get any OSAP. And in U of T, the deadline to apply for work-study positions is in Oct or Nov (can't remember). So it's not one of my options...

here's one from the alzheimer's association of canada: http://www.alzheimer.ca/english/research/resprog-intro.htm

I'm sure there are similar ones for other neurodegenerative diseases. Your supervisor should definitely know of them, after all he has to be funded by somewhere.

I've sent him an email about it. Hopefully he'll help me somehow. thank you so much for your help!

Archived