Premed 101 Forums

Western's cut off's

tHi everyone, i m just wondering how strict western is on its cut off's. Do they give like special consideration to people that are just slightly below the MCAT cut off but with a great GPA? like for example I myself have 11/10/9 R on my mcat and 9 being verbal 11 being biol and 3.99 for my best 2 years if they want 10 for verbal do I have any chance at all?

Hi everyone, i m just wondering how strick western is on its cut off's. Do they give like special consideration to people that are just slightly below the MCAT cut off but with a great GPA? like for example I myself have 11/10/9 R on my mcat and 9 being verbal 11 being biol and 3.99 for my best 2 years if they want 10 for verbal do I have any chance at all?

Western is one of the schools that uses their cut-offs as strict requirements. If you meet the cut-offs, you get an interview. If you don't meet the cut-offs (each component), you don't get an interview.

On the plus side, with your stats, you are likely to be successful in getting interviews at other schools if you don't at Western. The great thing about Ontario admissions is that each school has different requirements, which means that students who don't meet the requirements at one school still have in province options.

Best wishes to you! (and boy do I wish I had your stats when I was applying!)

Elaine

Western is one of the schools that uses their cut-offs as strict requirements. If you meet the cut-offs, you get an interview. If you don't meet the cut-offs (each component), you don't get an interview.

On the plus side, with your stats, you are likely to be successful in getting interviews at other schools if you don't at Western. The great thing about Ontario admissions is that each school has different requirements, which means that students who don't meet the requirements at one school still have in province options.

Best wishes to you! (and boy do I wish I had your stats when I was applying!)

Elaine

Hey thanks best of luck to you as well.

Do you remember that one year western had a policy that you can have 1 mark below the cut off for one of the sections on the MCAT? I remember I saw it a while back.

I'll just second what Elaine says, here. I hate to be Mr. Pessimistic, but Western has been at a 10 VR cutoff for the past few years (2006 on), and with the number of applications this year being very high (supposedly) plus the new monthly MCAT availability, I would be surprised to see cutoffs drop this year. But we'll know for sure in a month or so.

On the other hand, assuming that your CV isn't dreadful, you're looking very good for some of the other Ontario schools - as Elaine mentioned. If you're really dead set on Western, you should rewrite your MCAT this summer and then you'll be virtually guaranteed an interview next year if you can get your VR up.

(I take it you're not a SWOMEN applicant, in which case all this is moot).

thanks for all the comments and yes i did see question number 6 but I remember seeing something else way back like u can have 1 mark below the cut off it could be the case 2 or 3 years ago i m not sure. Oh and also I dont really have a priority so any med school in Canada would do just fine for me, I just hope to get into one of them. Speaking of CV I am not sure if mine is good enough or not but I might start a thread for people to post their brief experience other than academic stuff.

Thanks again everyone

I'll just second what Elaine says, here. I hate to be Mr. Pessimistic, but Western has been at a 10 VR cutoff for the past few years (2006 on), and with the number of applications this year being very high (supposedly) plus the new monthly MCAT availability, I would be surprised to see cutoffs drop this year. But we'll know for sure in a month or so.

On the other hand, assuming that your CV isn't dreadful, you're looking very good for some of the other Ontario schools - as Elaine mentioned. If you're really dead set on Western, you should rewrite your MCAT this summer and then you'll be virtually guaranteed an interview next year if you can get your VR up.

(I take it you're not a SWOMEN applicant, in which case all this is moot).

ya i m not swomen; I wish i were

Hey thanks best of luck to you as well.

Do you remember that one year western had a policy that you can have 1 mark below the cut off for one of the sections on the MCAT? I remember I saw it a while back.

I think you are referring to Dalhousie's policy. You are required to have a total mark of 30 (as a non-maritime applicant), with 10's in each section. However, one section can be a 9, provided you still have a total of 30.

Elaine

Yeah, cutoffs have not yet been set for this cycle, and the admissions office here tries so hard to get the information to you all as soon as it is known. Hang in tight, and don't harass the nice ladies in the office. They feel your pain, and they really do care.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived