Premed 101 Forums

Drop, Change, or Stick? [Advice please]

medaw

Hello! I could use your advice- Here's my situation:

I was rejected from Ontario with 3.68 and 34Q (13, 9, 12). They likely didn't open my file b/c of these numbers. So I enrolled in a M.Sc (because I also like research) at Utoronto (just finished 1st semester) but I really despise what I'm doing and I'm the unhappiest I've ever been.

I can drop out, change labs or stick it out in my current lab.

The case for dropping out:

- depressed and fed up with the "system", (why won't they let me take ENG?)

- raised my GPA to 3.72 in last year, rewriting MCAT for VR -> could reapply

- apply american/UK/Aus

- more time into EC's

The case for Changing or Sticking:

- The M.Sc helps for all schools

- I used to like research (I thought I did! 4 years of it already)

- I would get more LORs from "famous people"

Any advice? Your comments would be helpful!

Guest viscous

I would not suggest that you re-write your mcat just for that VR. You might up end up with a lower score. Ottawa, McMaster and NOSm dont care about Mcat. You are well above UofT gpa and mcat cut-offs. You might/might not be above QUeens cutoffs from last year. You only miss UWO. I dont think that you were rejected just based on your numbers. Your essay, activities, reference letters, all matter.

Hey, I have basically the same numbers as you and also didn't get into Ontario schools after undergrad.

I decided to do a M.Sc. as well and I feel like it really helped (granted I don't know about Canadian schools yet but I did get several interviews at American schools). I've learned SO much in the last two years (related to the field of my research and about myself- I DEFINITELY want to go into medicine..so many people stop trying and just end up going into research, applying to MD after M.Sc. shows you STILL really want it). It's been a long/hard two years and I knew all along that I didn't want to stay in research but I'm almost glad I did it b/c I feel like I've grown a lot.

I suggest you stick it out because dropping out would look pretty bad I would think and now you have an extra two years to add to your EC's/volunteer/what-not.

When you're done, apply to as many American/Canadian schools as you can and I think you'll have a good shot as long as you have strong ECs. In the U.S. anyway..based on my experience..just make sure you apply broadly!!!

I also read somewhere that having a graduate degree can help when you're applying to residencies..though that may only be if the grad degree is in the same field as the choice of residency..m'I dunno..just trying to convince you not to drop out:D It's all up to you though!!! what's another year or two in the grand scheme of things...

Hey, I have basically the same numbers as you and also didn't get into Ontario schools after undergrad.

I decided to do a M.Sc. as well and I feel like it really helped (granted I don't know about Canadian schools yet but I did get several interviews at American schools). I've learned SO much in the last two years (related to the field of my research and about myself- I DEFINITELY want to go into medicine..so many people stop trying and just end up going into research, applying to MD after M.Sc. shows you STILL really want it). It's been a long/hard two years and I knew all along that I didn't want to stay in research but I'm almost glad I did it b/c I feel like I've grown a lot.

I suggest you stick it out because dropping out would look pretty bad I would think and now you have an extra two years to add to your EC's/volunteer/what-not.

When you're done, apply to as many American/Canadian schools as you can and I think you'll have a good shot as long as you have strong ECs. In the U.S. anyway..based on my experience..just make sure you apply broadly!!!

I also read somewhere that having a graduate degree can help when you're applying to residencies..though that may only be if the grad degree is in the same field as the choice of residency..m'I dunno..just trying to convince you not to drop out:D It's all up to you though!!! what's another year or two in the grand scheme of things...

If I am not mistaken, monster did quite well for herself in the U.S.! So I would say stick with the MSc it will be worth it in the end.

Monster, what do you mean by applying broadly (based on your experience)?

Thanks.

It means don't be picky. Apply everywhere and close your eyes when you look at your bank statement. You need to play the numbers game when it comes to US med schools because there is an element of luck involved. Looking at the accepted/waitlisted/rejected will show you that some stellar applicants get rejected from lower end schools while accepted to big names. I for one, was not going to apply to GWU and was on the fence with the Supplementary application fee. I remembered that everyone said "apply broadly" so i went ahead and submitted and got an interview there.

Archived