Premed 101 Forums

What did you do when you went unmatched?

"PLEASE NOTE - the Northern/Remote stream is associated with a 2-YEAR RETURN OF SERVICE AGREEMENT in Northern/remote Manitoba followed by an opportunity to further your training in the residency program of your choice at the University of Manitoba (at the discretion of the relevant program director)"

This is what it says on the CaRMS program directory.. interesting.

What about the possibility of training elsewhere for post grad? I know the US has been mentioned, but what of the UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa? If you can't be bothered to muddle through the 2nd round and end up doing something you detest, which is perfectly sane and reasonable, then look elsewhere. I wonder if anyone has done this? Comments? I realize that, of course, it wouldn't extraordinarily straight forward, but I think that as a qualified physician, your options are far broader then they may seem. It all depends on you.

What about the possibility of training elsewhere for post grad? I know the US has been mentioned, but what of the UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa? If you can't be bothered to muddle through the 2nd round and end up doing something you detest, which is perfectly sane and reasonable, then look elsewhere. I wonder if anyone has done this? Comments? I realize that, of course, it wouldn't extraordinarily straight forward, but I think that as a qualified physician, your options are far broader then they may seem. It all depends on you.

Ive thought about this, and sought out advice, and found that trying to get a job as a physician in Canada if you have not trained in Canada or the USA is extremely hard! Its hard enough for US physicians to come to canada - they have to go through our difficult board exams and even do extra training years. Docs from the UK, NZ etc are likely to be shuttled into a family medicine position regardless of their specialty training. Id end up in the last thing Id want to do, only it would be a more convoluted road.

are there any other professional counseling organizations or individuals that would be helpful? My school has not been of any real assistance.

Ive thought about this, and sought out advice, and found that trying to get a job as a physician in Canada if you have not trained in Canada or the USA is extremely hard! Its hard enough for US physicians to come to canada - they have to go through our difficult board exams and even do extra training years. Docs from the UK, NZ etc are likely to be shuttled into a family medicine position regardless of their specialty training. Id end up in the last thing Id want to do, only it would be a more convoluted road.

are there any other professional counseling organizations or individuals that would be helpful? My school has not been of any real assistance.

I really think the best thing to do at this point is go for the second round. Try for a transfer later on if you have to. Even though there are slim pickings, there is enough variety that SOMETHING must appeal to you at least a little. If you got shut out of ENT/plastics/optho try for one of the surg spots. If you got shut out of derm, try IM. It won't be the same, of course, but it may be close enough that you will grow to like it. If you know ANY french, try the Quebec schools, since some specialties, like anesthesia, are still available there.

In any case, you can at least start making some money back as an R1, while you contemplate what to do, instead of waiting jobless. At the very least, it can't hurt to submit some applications, so that the second round doesn't pass you by completely. You can always withdraw from the match if you change your mind. I would get on it right away, though, since the File review for programs opened yesterday, so some places may not even accept new apps.

My school was supportive in matching my interests to available round two spots, as well as helping with my 2nd round application/letters. I guess at no point did they consider any other alternatives. They just assumed that the second round was the thing to do. I thought it a better option than taking the year off, since, statistically, my chances are way worse next year if i go back to Round 1 of CaRMS (although, statistically, I had a 98% chance of matching in round 1 this year).

I hope things work out for you.

If you know ANY french, try the Quebec schools, since some specialties, like anesthesia, are still available there.

are you suggesting that non-quebecois can stand a chance at french language schools? i'm just curious, because I was always under the impression that quebec was quite picky when it came to their french speakers.

are you suggesting that non-quebecois can stand a chance at french language schools? i'm just curious, because I was always under the impression that quebec was quite picky when it came to their french speakers.

The french schools will not accept you if you are not fluent in french. That said, there are francophones in ontario, new brunswick, PEI... etc.

But don't think it will be an option if you took a few french classes in high school. Residency is not the time to try mastering a new language.

I have lived in Quebec my whole life, and spoke french exclusively at home, but I went to school in english. The transition to schooling in French was very, very difficult. I really don't think knowing *some french* will cut it.

You have to put it into context:

a) All of the charts are written in french

B) About 80-90% of the nurses speak only FRENCH (and don't think they are going to take the time to try and explain themselves to you)

c) All of the radiologicial reports are in french

d) 85-90% of your patients speak ONLY french.

And even me, who barely has an accent gets comments like (snooty french patients), "Do you understand me? Can I have a french doctor?", as well as "You're anglophone, why did you come to the University of Montreal"

So I would be weary of someone who doesn't consider themselves *fluent in french* from jumping into a residency in one of the french universities.

Nothing lost in applying, right? Let the interviewers decide if your French is up to par. I would rather they tell me in the interview that I can't do it, rather than not apply, and wonder if I could have had a specialty I wanted.

Just go live in Chicoutimi or some other French-only place for the summer (I don't know if the Canadian language bursaries still exist), you'll have to know some French to survive. Even better, get a francophone girlfriend!

I don't know, but if I was born in English Canada, I would take all my spare change to at least live a bit in Qc to learn some French and a bit about a different culture not so far from home! I did the same, but in Western Canada, loved it, and learned a great deal.

As far as residency is concerned, it's a great opportunity to train in quality programmes, and you still write Royal College exams, as anybody in Canada...

noncestvrai

Just go live in Chicoutimi or some other French-only place for the summer (I don't know if the Canadian language bursaries still exist), you'll have to know some French to survive. Even better, get a francophone girlfriend!

I don't know, but if I was born in English Canada, I would take all my spare change to at least live a bit in Qc to learn some French and a bit about a different culture not so far from home! I did the same, but in Western Canada, loved it, and learned a great deal.

As far as residency is concerned, it's a great opportunity to train in quality programmes, and you still write Royal College exams, as anybody in Canada...

noncestvrai

Sounds like what I did. Did the bursary program in La Pocatiere 8 years ago. Hopefully it pays off, since I'm interviewing in Montreal in a few days.

Archived