Premed 101 Forums

MPH vs MSc in Epid

I am considering doing an MPH or MSc in epid if things don't work out for me this cycle, but I am just curious about a few things that I hope some of you may be able to help me out.

Both of the programs I am considering are at Queen's. I thougth that epid was always a discpline under "public health", so I assume that an MPH is a more general degree? What are some key differences between them?

Also, what are the career options of an MPH degree from Canada? I know Public health is much more established in the US when compared to Canada (it is in its budding stages here I think), but what can you do with a degree in MPH that you can't do with an MSc in Epid and vice versa?

Alastriss,

I've explored these options myself. I would suggest you check out jobs on workopolis or another job board. There, you will be able to specify what a MPH vs MSc in Epid will give you. From what I remember, yes, a MPH is more a generalist degree (although certain programs do allow for MPH specialization), while a MSc in epid will give you the training to become an epidemiologist (aka loads of stats training/work).

And yes, the field is growing in Canada. There's many areas within both those degrees that you could specialize in.

Maybe someone who's done these programs can add to my response.

Good luck,

H

Thanks, I just was told that you won't be able to do much with the MPH at Queen's. It's not like in the US where the MPH program and industry is so developed that there are lots of jobs.

What are these forums exactly? I went to workopolis and found 1 entry that was fine with an MSc in Epid or MPH. I'm leaning more to MPH really, more interested in policy work than stats, but I do want to find out more.

I am considering doing an MPH or MSc in epid if things don't work out for me this cycle, but I am just curious about a few things that I hope some of you may be able to help me out.

Both of the programs I am considering are at Queen's. I thougth that epid was always a discpline under "public health", so I assume that an MPH is a more general degree? What are some key differences between them?

Also, what are the career options of an MPH degree from Canada? I know Public health is much more established in the US when compared to Canada (it is in its budding stages here I think), but what can you do with a degree in MPH that you can't do with an MSc in Epid and vice versa?

Epidemiology is not strictly under the umbrella of public health by any stretch - it's a research field that sees involvement in clinical trials/research, biostatistics, etc. in an academic, clinical, or public health context.

I don't know where you're getting that public health is less established in Canada - every municipality/region in the country has a public health unit headed by an MD with FRCPC in community medicine or equivalent.

I have no idea what you would do with an MPH if you were not already trained as a public health nurse, physician, or were otherwise involved in public health units or the health care system more generally. It's also a professional degree for which no funding is available, so think carefully there. I know UofA has a wider variety of MPH specialization streams.

As near as I can tell, MPH programs are being introduced primarily to replace existing MHSc programs open mainly to current professionals. This would seem to be for accreditation purposes.

Oh, and I wouldn't bother with Waterloo's programs - they have a fairly small health studies unit. UofT (http://www.phs.utoronto.ca), UofA (http://www.phs.ualberta.ca), and UBC (http://www.mph.spph.ubc.ca/) are probably most worthwhile; however, these remain professional degrees.

From UBC:

The MPH will be ideally suited for professionals who have been working in the field of public health and who wish to extend their knowledge in public health planning, research, evaluation and management. The program will prepare students who have recently completed a Baccalaureate degree in related content areas to enter the field of public health. These content areas include the health sciences (medicine, nursing, physiotherapy, nutrition sciences, pharmacy, midwifery, kinesiology), science (microbiology, biology, environmental sciences, statistics), arts (sociology, psychology, anthropology) and applied sciences (engineering or business).

Oh, and I wouldn't bother with Waterloo's programs - they have a fairly small health studies unit. UofT (http://www.phs.utoronto.ca), UofA (http://www.phs.ualberta.ca), and UBC (http://www.mph.spph.ubc.ca/) are probably most worthwhile; however, these remain professional degrees.

Haha...I wasn't suggesting the U of Waterloo program; rather, their website is full of good links to learn more about a MPH :)

And, yes, you can get jobs with a local region as a public health planner, a health promoter, etc. Just depends where your focus is.

I would imagine a MPH is great if your goal is eventually still medical school. As A-stark pointed out, community medicine is all about public health. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most Medical Officers of Health do have a MPH or equivalent.

I looked into this career path as I'm really interested in certain aspects of public health. Now I just have to get into med school...;)

Has anyone here received their MPH at QUeen's or know people who have? I need more information on it. Is it widely recognized? What exactly would you be able to do with a MPH anyhow? Thanks for your help.

Their first class will commence september 2009, but I am asking the same thing you are.

I am just looking at UofAlberta's MPH and it seems so very well developed. You can specialize in a specific area of public health, while for Queen's it is a generalist degree. What are the advantages/disadvantages?

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys,

I'll be going to Queen's next year for the MPH program (and hopefully meds afterwards). I can tell you from the get go that the MPH program at Queens is going to be a great program. They will cover the basics of health policy in canada, health care issues in canada, research methods, some biostats, international issues and you'll be able to choose a couple of courses/areas that will interest you. So far that seems to be on par with all other schools, however, a really interesting aspect is that over the summer you'll be completing a practicum. You'll be working full time over this period, and in an area that you are interested in. They will use their connections to get you a spot nearly anywhere (including international work).

Some other things to take into account is that the school is going through a restructuring period. There is a new student centre being built (who knows when it will be finished) and it is not in a city like toronto (but kingston isn't too far and has it plus sides). The student gym is supposed to be ready for september so we'll wait and see. Also, they are building a separate area for epid students (so that includes mph students). It will be completely renovated, have some student offices, and work areas (like a student hang out). If you're there for 1.5 years, you might as well enjoy the surroundings as much as you can.

Now I was told by the grad admissions, that there were over 500 applications (I don't know how many were competitive and how many were completed properly- ie with all the necessary documents). The class size is 10. One thing they stressed that made us more competitive were excellent marks (I believe the average for the last 2 years of undergad was around 87), and we had valuable work experience already under our belt. The class was made up of a variety of people and backgrounds. I'm on the younger side of the class (I graduated this year from undergrad), however, with that said the average age was perhaps 24-25 (fairly young crowd, although almost everyone had a great background in the field- there were nurses, a doctor, one was a director of an HIV research clinic in ottawa- all great people). The tuition costs are about 6000 (I could be off, maybe 8k). And so far the schedule and work load seems doable.

We had our first orientation where they showed us the building and the campus. I was really surprised with the level of professionalism. We went to local health centres, discussed health issues in kingston, were treated to lunch (that was a plus!) and everything just seemed like they were trying to woo us. It was nice knowing that they want you to come to their school. We later met with other epid students at a local student bar, who all seemed nice and eager to get to know us.

We will be the first year for this program. Overall, I compared this program, the school and everything associated with other programs I had applied to, discussed with other health professionals and I think this will be one of the better programs in country for some time.

Or I could be totally wrong and everything will go to sh_t.

i'm an public health student at U of T, so i've gone through the researching different schools part, and here my thoughts.

MSc's are for people who want to do research and/or go on to a PhD and/or be that thing they specialized in (epi, biostats, nutrition, etc, etc.). MPH's are professionally-oriented, and you are more likely to see a MD with an MPH if they aren't doing research almost exclusively. MPH's often have practicums or placements, rather than writing research papers (although one of my placements is a research paper that i'm publishing, so you never know). As another poster observed, MPHs aren't organized in Canada like they are in the US or UK, so unfortunately, every program is going to be totally different. However, that doesn't change the fact that MPHs ARE the standard in the US and the UK, and they will become the same here (I'm not saying they will replace the MSc; just that they will become commonplace and specifically sought after). Within an MPH, you can specialize, just like an MSc, and there are more opportunities to combine health interests (like global health, or women's health, etc.) and also to focus on the social determinants of health... something which is SORELY lacking in most MSc programs, unless the student has the awareness to bring it into their own work.

• 3 months later...
Hey, I'm contemplating the MHSc program at U of T (Dalla Lana) for epidemiology as a backup. Can anyone tell me about my career prospects if I get a degree from there?

Well, the big thing you might want to know is that there's a degree name change in the works, so the class of 2011 (the one attending now) and all classes after are getting MPHs, not MHSc's. In terms of career prospects, you've gotta be a bit more specific...

Archived