Premed 101 Forums

Dartmouth Medical School Invite... should I go???

zztop

Hey guys,

I got an interview invite today of all days. Its a bit late in the cycle and I'm just wondering if I should go interview at DMS? By this point, I'm assuming I'm interviewing for a wait-list position... or I am I? Do DMS have rolling acceptances? I looked at the DMS acceptance stats and it seems like they only accept like 70 people overall heh...

Any suggestions or comments from people who've interviewed there would be awesome. Feel free to PM me.

All the best you guys and may 2009 be the one to remember!!!

I have never interviewed at Dartmouth but I certainly applied. I would go. I only applied to schools in the US that I really wanted to go to. Dartmouth was my top US choice. What a great looking program.

Do you have any acceptances anywhere yet? If not then I think you would be a fool not to go. If you do, than my advice would be to revisit why you chose to apply there. If you are still interested at all, you might as well go.

Dartmouth seems very friendly to internationals. So it's not like you would be trekking down there for no reason, you do have a chance. One of the main reasons why I applied to DMS is because you can get financial aid there.

Also I don't think you're neccessarily at that much of a disadvantage interviewing this late. When you interview you're given a score and then inserted into their rank list. From what I remember, every few weeks or so they accept some people at the top of the list, and reject some at the bottom. It is rolling, but if you manage to really impress them you could shoot right to the top of the list and be accepted right away.

DMS is all about FIT, because they have such a small class. If you think you'd be genuinely happy at Dartmouth/Hanover and can really express that during your interviews, go for it.

Dude you are not interviewing for a waitlist. Again its the SDN p101 mentality of being too far ahead of the game (august being late, and interviewing in January = for waitlist). LizzyM said that she never heard of interviewing for a waitlist until SDN

If it helps, I knew a guy that interviewed there around feb I think, and he is there now as a student.

Hey guys,

I got an interview invite today of all days. Its a bit late in the cycle and I'm just wondering if I should go interview at DMS? By this point, I'm assuming I'm interviewing for a wait-list position... or I am I? Do DMS have rolling acceptances? I looked at the DMS acceptance stats and it seems like they only accept like 70 people overall heh...

Any suggestions or comments from people who've interviewed there would be awesome. Feel free to PM me.

All the best you guys and may 2009 be the one to remember!!!

I interivewed last year at Dartmouth approximately around this time and was accepted two weeks later. You are not interviewing for a wait-list position if you decide to go.

The school facilities are great, given it is one of the top undergraduate schools in the US. Hanover is nice, etc. New hospital. Definitely go if you can afford the cost of interviewing. I recommend flying into Boston and then busing from there.

• 1 month later...
Its a bit late in the cycle

If you think that's late, I just received an interview invite for later this month! I already have an acceptance in the US to a state school (I know, I haven't posted, but I'll probably do it once the app cycle is over). Same questions as zztop: Should I go? Is it worth going? or only if I really want to go to DMS? I would appreciate your input.

Edit: And it would be nice to know what some of you thought about DMS after interviewing there.

If you think that's late, I just received an interview invite for later this month! I already have an acceptance in the US to a state school (I know, I haven't posted, but I'll probably do it once the app cycle is over). Same questions as zztop: Should I go? Is it worth going? or only if I really want to go to DMS? I would appreciate your input.

Edit: And it would be nice to know what some of you thought about DMS after interviewing there.

I interviewed for MD/PhD there in October, although a different application cycle I can still comment a little on the school. I thought the program was very well laid out, and Hanover is REALLY nice. If you like the outdoors at all, the Dartmouth Outdoors Club is one of the best (if not the best) in the country, as well as the oldest.

I've been accepted at a few other schools, DMS MD/PhD hasn't given word yet, but I am pretty confident if I get accepted it will be one of my top choices.

I interviewed at Dartmouth late as well, only a couple weeks ago. It was pretty expensive to get there. I flew to Manchester and then rented a car. But if you can afford it, it is definitely worth a look. It's beautiful! I'm not sure what state school you were accepted at, but it's probably a much larger class than Dartmouth (which only has 70 people -- an asset in my opinion). During my interview in late Feb, the Director of Admissions indicated that while they do have rolling admissions, they admit students fairly conservatively from the upper score range, in order to ensure that students who interview later in the season aren't at a major disadvantage. Hopefully that's true! Good luck.

Dude you are not interviewing for a waitlist. Again its the SDN p101 mentality of being too far ahead of the game (august being late, and interviewing in January = for waitlist). LizzyM said that she never heard of interviewing for a waitlist until SDN

If it helps, I knew a guy that interviewed there around feb I think, and he is there now as a student.

For Stanford, my interview told me that the adcom haven't offered any offers of admission to people who interviewed in the past couple months now, many people are just waitlisted, and despite been very impressed by my interview, she said it is highly likely that I will be offered a waitlist position. Even though she really wish I can go to stanford, it is just those schools with rolling admissions send out most of their acceptances early, and now they are forced to put qualified students on waitlist until some of the early accepted people turn down their offers. So if a school like Stanford adopt a strategy where people since late Jan is basically interviewing for waitlist, then I'm sure it is a common practice else where as well.

For Stanford, my interview told me that the adcom haven't offered any offers of admission to people who interviewed in the past couple months now, many people are just waitlisted, and despite been very impressed by my interview, she said it is highly likely that I will be offered a waitlist position. Even though she really wish I can go to stanford, it is just those schools with rolling admissions send out most of their acceptances early, and now they are forced to put qualified students on waitlist until some of the early accepted people turn down their offers. So if a school like Stanford adopt a strategy where people since late Jan is basically interviewing for waitlist, then I'm sure it is a common practice else where as well.

I thought stanford was not rolling..?

Double checked with their website, and their decisions are rolling starting from January. So if you interview in the first half of the academic year it isn't rolling for you.

Archived