Premed 101 Forums

UWO Gastroenterologists for 4th Year Elective

I really liked Dr. John Howard. He does a lot of pediatric GI as well as Adult stuff (He was trained for Adult GI but fell into the role as the Peds GI guy because there was no one else). He is a really pleasant person to work with. You get loads of one on one time with him, and he is usually quite respectful of your time (i.e. if nothing is going on you go home early, rarely do you have to do grunt work,etc.)

Has anyone worked with Paul Adams or Jamie Gregor? What are they like?

Dr. Adams is the department head, and has done significant work on hematochromatosis (and is not shy about telling you about how important his work is ;) ) I interacted with him a little bit during my 3rd year GI elective, and he was always quite pleasant to me even though I was at the bottom of the totem pole. A couple of times he had me tracked down or paged to see a particularly interesting/rare patient that he was seeing in clinic. I think it's safe to say that he likes to teach. He does have a fairly strong sense of himself and the importance of his work (err...trying to be diplomatic here...), but if you can get past that you should have a good elective. Try and shine on your elective: he's probably a good person to try and get a Medicine LoR from.

I have never worked with Dr. Gregor, but he always seems quite pleasant at Grand Rounds.

Good luck!

Archived