Premed 101 Forums

What do you think?

bubblebath

I was faced with a similar situation a few summers ago.

I would suggest going with the research position. You already have 3 years at the camp which is great and as you said, taking the research position will definitely give you some ammo to answer those essay/interview questions during the application process.

I know some people talk about quality over quantity when it comes to ECs but you already have a lot of time at the camp so widening your horizons to try clinical work wouldn't be a bad idea.

Don't make life decisions just because you want to get into med school.

Do what you want, and do what will make you happy.

Because otherwise you're being superficial and lying to yourself, and if you're bitter about missing out on the summer camp - you'll probably direct that resentment towards your clinical position.

With the application process getting so much more competitive I would take the research position. It will set you up nicely with not only reference letters, but allow you to network within the scientific community. You can go back to the camp next summer, but this summer you are guaranteed the job. I know above it says to do what makes you happy, but how do you know the research job won't make you happy? It is the same thing as every premed gunner thinking they will be happy in medicine, when they actually have no idea if they will be or not, thats what taking risks are for.

Archived