Premed 101 Forums

Will a masters help for Carms/benefits of a masters as an MD

Hey just trying to get some insight on this one. Is a masters something that can help you for CaRMs in terms of improving your application/making you unique? I am on the fence for whether I want to do a MSc (in epid or pathology) or MPH, or pursue another option given I am not successful this time but I am a little on the fence.

Also I am wondering if any MSc/MDs here have been able to integrate what they did in their MScs into their careers and how much they've benefited.

I'm not quite there yet, but I'm also interested whether, having done not one but two masters, there is any advantage in CaRMS to doing clinical research during med school itself? As it stands, I'm looking at international electives rather than research - does that even things out?

I wouldn't recommend doing an MSc unless you really want to. It can be a long haul even if your heart is in it from the start. If it is not...well I can`t even imagine.

In terms of carms, it is hard to say. It depends on the specialty - some are more academic in nature than others. And it also depends on how your degree/research is related to your chosen specialization. In addition, the school to which you apply to is a factor...some residency programs are more research focused than others.

I am applying to 2 different specialties and one seems thrilled with my graduate degrees. The other I think could care less...although since I have 2 they seem to need to clarify that it is actually the case and then proceed to make sure I am not actually crazy!

I am not familiar with the MPH programs so cannot comment specifically on that part of your question.

So...if it is something you are actually interested in then go for it. But if you are just going to do it to improve your chances at residency spots, I would advise against. Also...factor in your funding. I would never have gone into debt to do a graduate degree and I don`t think I would recommend to others that they should. So if you have secured decent funding (ie enough to cover your tuition and living expenses at least) great, but if not I would think twice.

Best of luck

I wanted to do the MSc (the extra year for the MMath was useful, but I could've stood to do something different), but they're not strictly relevant to any particular specialties. I'm told, anyway, that having training in biostats/epi is useful for just about anything, though. Fortunately I am restricting my massive debt load to med school. :)

I wouldn't recommend doing an MSc unless you really want to. It can be a long haul even if your heart is in it from the start. If it is not...well I can`t even imagine.

In terms of carms, it is hard to say. It depends on the specialty - some are more academic in nature than others. And it also depends on how your degree/research is related to your chosen specialization. In addition, the school to which you apply to is a factor...some residency programs are more research focused than others.

I am applying to 2 different specialties and one seems thrilled with my graduate degrees. The other I think could care less...although since I have 2 they seem to need to clarify that it is actually the case and then proceed to make sure I am not actually crazy!

I am not familiar with the MPH programs so cannot comment specifically on that part of your question.

So...if it is something you are actually interested in then go for it. But if you are just going to do it to improve your chances at residency spots, I would advise against. Also...factor in your funding. I would never have gone into debt to do a graduate degree and I don`t think I would recommend to others that they should. So if you have secured decent funding (ie enough to cover your tuition and living expenses at least) great, but if not I would think twice.

Best of luck

Thanks for the post. There are a few programs that I think I would enjoy myself in. I don't think I can do a year of working/not doing anything and I want to get that higher education experience. What I am on the fence about really is having to sit out a year for applying, but I am pretty sure I am going to be going the MSc route if I don't get in.

I don't really know enough info on CaRMs, but I would imagine that publications can't hurt. Some undergrads get them, but of course, it's difficult, and as a Masters student, you're almost guaranteed to get SOME publications.

But a lot of places emphasize the "research in medicine" idea, can anyone comment on why this is the case? Why does it have to be done IN med?

Archived