Premed 101 Forums

Studying just for VR

sv3

Hi,

Any insight into how long one should study for the VR section of the MCAT?

I'm a mature applicant and work 80 hrs a week and am putting all my eggs in the MacMaster basket and only intend to do the VR section. Was just hoping to get some insight from you scholars before I go for it.

I don't know how well I'd fare refreshing myself on the basic sciences since it's been 5 yrs since I completed my last science degree so that's why I'm going the risky route.

thanks in advance

sv

Guys you are way behind. Mac now requires the MCAT but looks solely at VR.

If you want to get good at VR you should start by practicing a couple full length VR sections so you know where you stand and what you are in for. Get a book (Kaplan or Examkrackers seem to be the best) and master the strategies. Then practice practice practice until your test day.

that Mac really won't care about the other three sections? I literally am planning on not doing anything for those and wondering if "behind the scenes" it will make me look unworthy.

I might give the sciences a shot if it looks a bit familiar but not holding my breath. Seeing how most people write them after a couple of years in university I'm pretty much screwed there but I hear Mac has a thing for "unique" applicants so I'm going to give it a shot.

thanks

that Mac really won't care about the other three sections? I literally am planning on not doing anything for those and wondering if "behind the scenes" it will make me look unworthy.

I might give the sciences a shot if it looks a bit familiar but not holding my breath. Seeing how most people write them after a couple of years in university I'm pretty much screwed there but I hear Mac has a thing for "unique" applicants so I'm going to give it a shot.

thanks

Mac tries to be "transparent" so if they say they only care about VR lets hope they mean it. That would be pretty sneaky to say they only look at VR and then go ahead and take the others into consideration.

Mind you, there is no way to send a school scores from only one section so they definitely see all your scores.

I'll defintely get that book.

I guess I'll gamble with only writing one section and hope it doesn't look bad on my part. My undergrad GPA isn't great but I have three of them (finance, bio, medical science) with a healthcare focused MBA and 4 years of senior management work experience in the pharma field(yes I'm old and turn 30 soon!).

After seeing that Mac is reducing the undergrad grades weight to 32% to make room for VR, I figure if I absolutely crush VR, I might have a shot at an interview.

Not sure if I want to take two months unpaid off work to study all sections, cause even then, I'd likely do worse than the majority of students for who the material is fresh for. although I tend to do well with these tests (90th percentile on GMat in two weeks of prep but its easier for sure)

thanks again people.

I would just practice quickly reading short articles in general. The Economist, letters in journals, short stories, whatever. You should be able to get through articles on a variety of topics quickly and with high comprehension.

Also, I would be wary about counting on "crushing" the VR section. Take a look at the stats here. Once you are over a 10, the points are really hard to come by.

10 = 69.1 - 84.5 percentile

11 = 84.6 - 95.5 percentile

12 = 95.6 - 98.4 percentile

13+ = Don't kid yourself.

I was getting 12s (and one 13!) on my practice tests and got an 11 on the MCAT, even though I felt more confident there. Good luck!

I'll defintely get that book.

I guess I'll gamble with only writing one section and hope it doesn't look bad on my part. My undergrad GPA isn't great but I have three of them (finance, bio, medical science) with a healthcare focused MBA and 4 years of senior management work experience in the pharma field(yes I'm old and turn 30 soon!).

After seeing that Mac is reducing the undergrad grades weight to 32% to make room for VR, I figure if I absolutely crush VR, I might have a shot at an interview.

Not sure if I want to take two months unpaid off work to study all sections, cause even then, I'd likely do worse than the majority of students for who the material is fresh for. although I tend to do well with these tests (90th percentile on GMat in two weeks of prep but its easier for sure)

thanks again people.

Check your inbox ;)

thanks for the heads up but I don't have a choice so I am counting on crushing VR. It's either that or not even trying to apply. I can see that after getting 12, the increases in percentile rank are very small so I wonder how much of a difference getting 12 vs 13 makes in admissions. Thanks again

thanks for the heads up but I don't have a choice so I am counting on crushing VR. It's either that or not even trying to apply. I can see that after getting 12, the increases in percentile rank are very small so I wonder how much of a difference getting 12 vs 13 makes in admissions. Thanks again

Sorry if I came off negative sv3 - I didn't intend to. I just wanted to bring your attention to the grade distribution so you could have all the info you need.

We know that Mac uses z-scores from the applicant population to assign scores for each component. It is likely that a 13 would the highest score they receive (it's the highest score U of T has received - I don't know of any other schools that post ranges). As you said, 12 and 13 are very close percentile-wise, so 12 would likely be a very high score out out of 32, then a moderate drop to 11, then a rather large drop to 10...

Best of luck! It can be done!

I'm counting on it. I know the GMAT is easier but I scored 90th percentile there on verbal and writing. I'm suddenly thinking that studying the sciences might be a decent option so I can put forward my writing scores which I hope will be good. Either way, thanks for the information...it's defintely helpful and motivating.

Sv

Archived