Premed 101 Forums

US Dat vs Canadian DAT

I am having a hard time figuring out whether I should do the US DAT this year prior to Spring. I have done the Canadian DAT twice now, and applied to the US Schools once with no luck of getting in.

Just wondering if anyone found that US schools were biased towards the US DAT being done. . . cause if so, I better do the US Dat!

at my dental school, we did accept the canadian DAT, but the admissions office preferred the US DAT, because it was easier for them to compare the canadian and US candidates......

now this was just my school and people with just the canadian DAT are still eligible to apply and can still get in.......but im just telling you their preference.

I am having a hard time figuring out whether I should do the US DAT this year prior to Spring. I have done the Canadian DAT twice now, and applied to the US Schools once with no luck of getting in.

Just wondering if anyone found that US schools were biased towards the US DAT being done. . . cause if so, I better do the US Dat!

Take the US DAT if you don't mind organic chem and some math. The US DAT is easier. The bio and chem questions are more straight-forward. The RC is a little more challenging but you get an additional 10 minutes. This is based on my experience which isn't much as I wrote each test once but I've noticed most people who have taken both feel the same way.

I also heard US schools prefer the US DAT.

wow thanks for the input, I will phone today to see if they have openings- can you write in Canada?

Also, i was denied from these schools this year:

Columbia

New York

Buffalo

Penn State

New Jersey- found out they only take residents

U of Michigan

Case Western

Temple

U of Conn

Would you recommend any other schools I should or should not apply to this year (2010) in May? I feel dumb having a 3.17 science GPA and 3.35 overall, but I am a fighter! Any suggestions would be helpful, as I am getting really sick of rejection letters (and my wallet is too!).

wow thanks for the input, I will phone today to see if they have openings- can you write in Canada?

Columbia

New York

Buffalo

Penn State

U of Michigan

Case Western

Temple

U of Conn

Would you recommend any other schools I should or should not apply to this year (2010) in May? I feel dumb having a 3.17 science GPA and 3.35 overall, but I am a fighter! Any suggestions would be helpful, as I am getting really sick of rejection letters (and my wallet is too!).

You can write the American DAT in Canada. All the registration stuff is done online - you can sign up to write it any day of the year (other than stat holidays).. unlike the Canadian DAT. Just go to the ADA website. The nice thing about the American DAT also is that you can reschedule it if you don't feel you are prepared, as long as you write it one year from your initial date of registration.

In terms of your list, Buffalo I would remove (its a state school and would therefore accept barely any Canadians, if at all) and I'd remove Case too (because they enforce a strict GPA cut-off.. unless your GPA has improved). UConn I would also remove - it's has very high admission stats from what I recall.

On the other hand, I would add Boston U. If you have great DAT scores, then you would also have a shot a University of the Pacific. And you might try adding Nova. Check out http://www.predents.com to see what schools would be better to apply to with your stats. You'd want to focus on private schools (vs. public like Buffalo), because that is where you will have a much greater chance, being a Canadian.

Finally (very important!) make sure that your AADSAS application is submitted as early as possible (rolling admissions!)

GL!

Howard and Meharry tend to have lower admission stats, and have attractive cheaper tuitions lol, but they are schools that the majority of their class is made up of under-represented minorities. If you aren't an under-represented minority (e.g. if you are white or if you are asian), then your chances of getting in there are greatly reduced.. I'm talking that they won't even interview you.. especially at Howard. Of the two, I think that Meharry is a bit more flexible in their applicants, so you may have a better chance there (even if you're not a minority).

Columbia

New York

Buffalo

Penn State

U of Michigan

Case Western

Temple

U of Conn

Hey JawsofLife, if you dont mind me asking, could you tell when you received the Columbia rejection. I ask because I applied there also but quite late (in Dec.) and havent heard anything up till now...just an aadsas status of under review...although i have heard that this week was presumably their last interviewing week..

The best thing you can do for you AADSAS application next cycle is to submit ASAP!!! And as early as possible, especially that GPA! If you are persistent you WILL get in somewhere in the US, applying early means a lot. You've done the application once now, so you know how much work it requires, so manage your time accordingly to submit it as early as possible. Keep on fighting! Good luck!

thanks herragge for your support! I will definitely be on my game this coming cycle, although from seeing the predent scores- my GPA sucks ass! It all has to do with my first two years which were very bad, so it brought my last two years down! I wish there was an american school that just looked at your best two years like Western does (although Western is highly competitive). Also, if the American cycle next year was like this year, what I found they do is put you on their waitlist to see if they get better offers (which in my case they did, and kept me waiting only to be declined)- so right now I will apply early, but I also have to be realistic.

• 1 month later...

I'll be applying to US dent schools this June (hopefully). I've written the Canadian DAT many times and US DAT once (in March) and I got 20 or above for each section (except organic chem). My GPA is really low :( ... should I rewrite this US DAT again this summer? But the thing is, I have to wait 3 months before I can rewrite it, so say I were to apply in June, could I resubmit my newer DAT scores? Will they even look at the newer scores after I have already submitted my application? Or should I wait until after i rewrite it to submit...

Thanks!

I wrote US DAT in late sept and got many US interviews so no worries there. Good luck!

I'll be applying to US dent schools this June (hopefully). I've written the Canadian DAT many times and US DAT once (in March) and I got 20 or above for each section (except organic chem). My GPA is really low :( ... should I rewrite this US DAT again this summer? But the thing is, I have to wait 3 months before I can rewrite it, so say I were to apply in June, could I resubmit my newer DAT scores? Will they even look at the newer scores after I have already submitted my application? Or should I wait until after i rewrite it to submit...

Thanks!

Thanks simba!

But I really really want to apply as early as possible since my gpa is quite low. Im just debating whether or not I should rewrite the DAT, especially since every time I wrote it, I got around the same score, so maybe my marks have peaked. There could be some room for improvement for organic chem though...

Archived