Premed 101 Forums

Interview Question-Very interesting !

syd.hassan

there's nothing to say that the mechanic actually has the tools to fix the plane in his current possession, or the plane is fit to fly once the mechanic fixes it (what if there's a fuel leak)? I'd give water to the pregnant woman - she's most likely to have a mirror (yes, I'm being a biased and vain woman) and then you can do the whole shining at the sun to make a rescue signal (or maybe that only works in kids books/movies...). I'd probably also pick the mechanic (provided the tools are there) - after the plane is fixed you can use the radio to call someone to come rescue you. sorry pilot. I wouldn't want to be flying in a just-broken down plane anyway.

Honestly though, I think you have to share the water. Giving all the water to the pilot or any one of the three in the OP for that matter would sacrifice human life to save human life. Nobody wants to be that "means to an end." Unless someone voluntarily gives up their water it is unreasonable to let a life end for the sake of another. If nobody volunteers than the three of them enjoy their last moments together on this unfortunate island. All three lives are lost, but their humanity is preserved.

Why do we not let organ donors that have a bleak diagnosis die so we can harvest their organs? Surely one life lost is not worth as much as the five or six that could be saved. Wrong, until they are dead they deserve the same treatment as everyone else. That includes every reasonable measure that can be used to preserve their life. It is their life to give, not ours (physicians') to take. We must have respect for the rights of an autonomous patient.

I feel the organ donor example you have above is not entirely relevant to the scenario. You are not slicing up the woman against her will and feeding her to the others.

For me, this situation would parallel a medical situation where you have ONE (or two, as in this case, I suppose) organ, and need to decide among several people who gets it. Is it fair to say that no one gets it unless everyone but one person voluntarily forfeits the transplant?

The medical profession is fraught with hard decisions all the time. Resources are scarce, and someone needs to decide to whom things should go to - distributive justice is a very real and important aspect of bioethics, along with respecting all individuals, beneficence, etc. I assume the interviewer would want to see how you would approach an issue of distributive justice as a physician - they want to see that you are able to consider and make those hard decisions.

You have a whole plane and you're telling me you can't find the materials to make a basic distillation apparatus to clean more water? Seriously, all you'd need is a fire, something bowl-like to hold ocean water, something else bowl like to collect and condense the steam and finally something else bowl like to collect the condensate. Voila!

That's right, holding it down for engineering.

I think the question is badly formulated mainly because it states that these people crashed on an island, insinuating that it's next to an ocean/sea where water is abundant.

What if this plane crashed in the desert?

Now you can answer the question more pragmatically...

And I do think you'd have to save the pilot and the mechanic. What I believe the interviewers are looking for is your ability to consider and make hard decisions, not try to avoid them (in which case you'd go on and on about how you can try to save all of the crashees, which you obviously can't do).

My 2 cents...

Archived