Premed 101 Forums

General GPA's for the states

ace8

Guest viscous
what are the general GPA trends for the states?

how would a 3.0 fair?

do any schools look at your best 2 years, drop your lowest year or cut you any slack another way?

thx

to have a realistic chance at top tier schools (hopkins and the ilk), i'd say 3.8ish or upward and a >35 mcat.

to have a realistic chance at top tier schools (hopkins and the ilk), i'd say 3.8ish or upward and a >35 mcat.

I didn't see him mention anything about top tiers. The info you provided is pretty obvious.

Honestly ace8, I think you'll probably need at least a 3.5+ cGPA in order to go to the states. Aussie or Carrib schools may very well be your best shot unless you're willing to do a second undergrad.

And no, there doesn't seem to be any weighting formulas applied. You will be depending wholly on your cGPA + MCAT + ECs

Guest viscous
I didn't see him mention anything about top tiers. The info you provided is pretty obvious.

Honestly ace8, I think you'll probably need at least a 3.5+ cGPA in order to go to the states. Aussie or Carrib schools may very well be your best shot unless you're willing to do a second undergrad.

And no, there doesn't seem to be any weighting formulas applied. You will be depending wholly on your cGPA + MCAT + ECs

I looked again at what he wrote. He specifically typed "what are the general GPA trends for the states?" I am more than confident that the info I provided is a subset answer, at least, to his question. The rest, you can fill him in with your great "Lawrence of America" experiences.

I looked again at what he wrote. He specifically typed "what are the general GPA trends for the states?" I am more than confident that the info I provided is a subset answer, at least, to his question. The rest, you can fill him in with your great "Lawrence of America" experiences.

hahahahahaha

another classic post on pmed101

no need to get so pissy... take it easy... it's just the bored [obsessive?] musings of an anonymous, online msg board

OP, you will have a hard time with a 3.0.

HOWEVER, I need you to calculate your amcas gpa, if your 3.0 is an omsas gpa then you might see your gpa dramatically rise up. You should aim for a 3.55 GPA and a 34+ mcat to have a good shot.

You are cut no slack, and all your courses are taken into account. We really need to make a FAQ section.

Guest Day_one
OP, you will have a hard time with a 3.0.

HOWEVER, I need you to calculate your amcas gpa, if your 3.0 is an omsas gpa then you might see your gpa dramatically rise up. You should aim for a 3.55 GPA and a 34+ mcat to have a good shot.

You are cut no slack, and all your courses are taken into account. We really need to make a FAQ section.

34 MCAT? I was under the impression a 30 or so would do...

I'm gonna be riding on 3.55 cGPA and 31Q MCAT (12 BS, 10 PS, 9 VR)... should I rewrite my MCAT?

34 MCAT? I was under the impression a 30 or so would do...

I'm gonna be riding on 3.55 cGPA and 31Q MCAT (12 BS, 10 PS, 9 VR)... should I rewrite my MCAT?

I don't want to be all doom and gloom, so I'll just put it this way: a 35 would make your life much, much easier. If you think you can do it, take it again as soon as possible. If realistically you could only improve by a couple of points, don't bother and just apply EARLY and BROADLY.

I don't want to be all doom and gloom, so I'll just put it this way: a 35 would make your life much, much easier. If you think you can do it, take it again as soon as possible. If realistically you could only improve by a couple of points, don't bother and just apply EARLY and BROADLY.

Sorry, I meant that with a 3.0, If they can get it to a 3.5 and a 34 mcat they will stand a chance. My buddy had a 36 and 3.55 and got into SUNY and wayne, didn't hear back from anywhere else. So I am saying if you want to keep your options open and get several interviews around here, then yeah, 34 mcat to make up for 3.5.

Big ups to THX, he was less than competitive with respect to the people here (see schnauzr and retsage), but he played the game right and he is accepted at a very fine institution. We call him the PIMP of Med schools.

How early is early? When would be the optimal time to apply?

How early is early? When would be the optimal time to apply?

Everyone will give you different answers as it really depends on how competitive your application is. THX for example did everything right, applied super early (July IIRC) to a broad range of schools. Got a ton of interviews and a sweet acceptance. But that doesn't neccessarily mean that you're doomed if you're not complete until August. Earlier is always better, of course.

And yeah we really need to write an FAQ...

Apparently, you have to purchase this ... Im not made of money. Is there not any sites that are free?

hmmm, well, $25 for an idea about the amount of work you need to put in for your future endeavors is probably not much. Regardless, AAMC MCAT 3 should be free to all new registrants. Register and do that mcat and you will see.

a 35 is def do-able, but it's also very difficult. You're looking at ~93-95th percentile, so you've gotta be on your game to get scores like that.

Archived