Premed 101 Forums

ECs for overseas schools

Just wondering- do international med schools (esp UK, Australia, and Ireland) put the same emphasis on volunteering, work experience, and extra curriculars as I find there is in Canada/the USA? Or is it more about GPA and the applicable entrance test scores?

yeah, i know for a fact that Australia doesn't look at EC's anyways... well Queensland doesn't anyways.

As for Ireland, I don't think they put too much emphasis on it either, as I had a friend who got an interview but was very lacking in EC's as compared to a competitive applicant to a Canadian school.

UK definitely does. They also require references and an essay. Ireland places come emphasis depending on the school. But generally, yes for Ireland. Australia, it depends on the school. Flinders and Wollongong care quite a bit. Sydney and Queensland don't care.

Hello Lyndal

thanks for the input and your presence here on the site. I just emailed you a question about financing education. If you could answer it and if you feel the answer could be relevant to others here, please do post it on the forums.

thanks a lot

Archived