Premed 101 Forums

How popular are the different general surgery programs?

Hi there,

It really depends on how you define "top", i.e., what you're looking for in a program. There were a number of folks in my class who were keen on general surgery and I was one of them. However, my gen surg elective list looked a lot different than some of my classmates who also interview in gen surg simply because we were looking for different things within a program. For example, one person in my class wanted an intense gen surg experience, i.e., lots of cases with a wide variety of pathologies and he ranked a very small program highly (and matched there). I, on the other hand, was interested in a program with a good breadth of procedures, but also, with a strong research component, so I completed my electives at centres where I thought I could find both of these factors. Again, the strength of a program depends on what you feel is important within a program.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...

That question is impossible to answer, other than the "medium size" and community/academic mix. The first you can learn from the CaRMS site, the second you can contact the PD about. "Happiness" is a very personal thing and depends on factors external to the program in many cases. All programs work on a graduated responsibility framework. Some will have the residents "do more" earlier than others. Some centres have wider referral areas and will thus draw crazier cases more often than others. Ideally try to check out as many places as possible and see where you'd best fit.

Fine, I'll answer my own question to stimulate some discussion (and to prove that my question CAN be answered).

U of A General surgery program

- fairly large; ~ 8 - 10 residents each year, with 2 from Arab nations due to special agreement

- research intensive; 1/3 of residents do PhD or MSc (Clinical Investigator Program); many go on to fellowships; 1/2 do community surgery

- residents - many that I've talked to are not particularly happy with the program; past program director is often accused of placing faculty before residents;

- seems like may junior residents "fight" to get experience because of large number of residents; as a result, they often stay way beyond 26 hr rule to get extra experience

- academically strong but offers only a couple of fellowship programs

Having interviewed at all 14 English general surgery program (I matched to UofA...first choice) in addition to doing electives at 5 of them, I will share my experiences shortly (cramming for an exam at present). I will also highlight the errors you have made regarding UofA's program.

PMD

Archived