Premed 101 Forums

Part-time vs. just skipping the semester??

Hey all,

I'm a 2nd year at Scarborough Campus, technically in 3rd cuz of a full summer semester I did.

Looking for advice. I got about 2 (significantly) bad midterm marks back. Should I become part-time this semester by dropping some classes... or would it be better to drop everything (say that I volunteered/worked full time this semester and took it as a summer break after 4 concurrent semesters).

How shamefully is a part-time semester (3/5 courses) considered? I guess that's the gist of the question.

Would it be better to just not have a part-time semester on my transcript?

Thanks for the help guys!

Wee1

I ran into this problem in second year as I did not have alot of information regarding consequences of part time study.

If you change your status to part time, you will not be eligible for the U of T weighting system when applying to medical school where you are allowed to drop your lowest mark from each year....cannot have any part-time years

I guess you need to do some math...what do you expect to get in the courses that you are doing poorly in, be realistic...then add them to your gpa...then take them out and see what the difference is...you will have your answer there....from what I am learning it is all about gpa and you may have to risk the benefits of dropping your lowest course at U of T, but that is just U of T...

On the other hand, it might be better to take your more difficult courses in the summer since most schools do not use them in you cpa

hope this helps...

Hey all,

I'm a 2nd year at Scarborough Campus, technically in 3rd cuz of a full summer semester I did.

Looking for advice. I got about 2 (significantly) bad midterm marks back. Should I become part-time this semester by dropping some classes... or would it be better to drop everything (say that I volunteered/worked full time this semester and took it as a summer break after 4 concurrent semesters).

How shamefully is a part-time semester (3/5 courses) considered? I guess that's the gist of the question.

Would it be better to just not have a part-time semester on my transcript?

Thanks for the help guys!

Wee1

Archived