Premed 101 Forums

Anyone confirmed to go to Wayne State?

For those prospective WSU applicants next year, this is my stats:

cGPA: 3.375 (3.0 -> 2.6 -> 4.0 -> 3.9)

If cGPA includes Grad GPA as well, then it becomes: 3.5 (grad GPA -> 4.0)

MCAT: 12-11-11-S (34S)

I submitted my secondaries in late September, interviewed at the end of October, and was accepted in the middle of December.

As for paying for WSU tuition...yes it is incredibly large, but there are plenty of CDNs who go to Wayne State now, maybe they can share how they paid for it. I'm hoping CDN school works out for me, but ultimately it is nice to know that I have a seat at an American school, and to know so early!

American schools are a far better option than Carribbean, Australian or European schools, if your ultimate goal is to practice in Canada (compete in the same pool as Canadian grads, so long as you are a Canadian yourself) or the States.

Hey, Thx for your input! Your undergrad GPA is on the low side but you have killer (and balanced) MCAT score. Congrats on WSU! And yea, I bet it is comforting to have a spot in a North American school.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those prospective WSU applicants next year, this is my stats:

cGPA: 3.375 (3.0 -> 2.6 -> 4.0 -> 3.9)

If cGPA includes Grad GPA as well, then it becomes: 3.5 (grad GPA -> 4.0)

MCAT: 12-11-11-S (34S)

I submitted my secondaries in late September, interviewed at the end of October, and was accepted in the middle of December.

As for paying for WSU tuition...yes it is incredibly large, but there are plenty of CDNs who go to Wayne State now, maybe they can share how they paid for it. I'm hoping CDN school works out for me, but ultimately it is nice to know that I have a seat at an American school, and to know so early!

American schools are a far better option than Carribbean, Australian or European schools, if your ultimate goal is to practice in Canada (compete in the same pool as Canadian grads, so long as you are a Canadian yourself) or the States.

What were your ECs like?

• 1 month later...
Hey Dayne. That's why a big number of students DON'T live in foggy bottom. I talked to a few that lived in Dupont circle but even though its far they said the metro is so good that it isn't really an issue.

Btw, its seems so funny that a few of us interviewed at GW and all of us got waitlisted. I know of another that got the WL too. I wonder if they were ever serious about accepting us, but then again why would they interview us in the first place if they weren't.

I'm guessing they just have a hangup about Canadians using the US as a backup.

Makes sense that they just waitlisted all of you. If you were still interested in GW after May 15th they would feel more comfortable that you're not just going to ditch them for a Canadian school.

Alastriss,the funny thing is that I also interviewed with them last year. And they obviously waitlisted me back then as well. I think that they are incredibly selective of the Canadian interviewees that they want to accept. I was told by students that were supposedly two "very bright" Canadians that got in last year. It's really hard to say. But I decided to check to see if there are any Canadians that got accepted this cycle so far on their facebook group. I found that despite their being like 125 profiles in that group, none of them are Canadian thus far....

Applied pretty late, secondary app's submitted in late January...

canadian GPA was 3.98 when i applied

MCAT was 36-S

... I think I'm going to go to wayne. not 100% sure but most likely!

Look's like I'm going to Wayne as well. I hope that I don't end up regretting choosing to live in Detroit over Norfolk-Virginia Beach (EVMS).

Well maybe you're onto something here token, considering my first question after the small talk about my flight from Toronto was "So you are leaving Canada for US - why?".

lol, if I got that question within the first 5 minutes of an interview I just KNEW it wasn't going to end well.

Well, I will be withdrawing my acceptance from Wayne State as of tomorrow. I was interviewed back in October of last year, and I received my acceptance a month later. I will be accepting an offer from Georgetown in Washington, DC in the meantime.

Good luck to all of you who are still on the waitlist!

From Wayne State SOM website:

Application and Acceptance Policies for 2009-2010 First-year Class

* Filing of AMCAS application: http://www.aamc.org

Earliest date: June 4, 2009

Latest date: Dec. 15, 2009

* Oldest MCAT scores considered:

* Acceptance notice to regular applicants:

Earliest date: Oct. 21, 2009

Latest date: varies

* Applicant’s response to acceptance offer:

Maximum time: 3 weeks

* Requests for deferred entrance considered:

Yes

* Deposit to hold place in class (applied to tuition):

$50, due with response to acceptance offer - nonrefundable

* Starting date:

August 2010

So, get your primary done by June or July. If you pass the screen, you should receive Wayne's secondary in a matter of weeks, and then hopefully an interview.

I had my primary complete in August, my secondary done by September, and I received my interview (for October) within a matter of days. So, I wouldn't worry too much about getting your primary completed super early, but definitely before the end of August.

hey guys.. so I got into Wayne State today but I was thinking of deferring for personal reasons. Does anyone know how open Wayne State is to deferrals? Or anything else about defered admission?

Thanks for ur help guys!

Nice, I think you may have gotten my spot, as I just confirmed my withdrawal with the admissions office the same morning!

Anyways, as stated above, they do "consider" deferred entrances, but I have no idea what list of criteria that entails. Give them a call! --> (313)577-1466

Nice, I think you may have gotten my spot, as I just confirmed my withdrawal with the admissions office the same morning!

Anyways, as stated above, they do "consider" deferred entrances, but I have no idea what list of criteria that entails. Give them a call! --> (313)577-1466

In that case, thanks for withdrawing Riskbreaker! I'll definitely give them a call

has any Canadian got into Wayne with a sub-30 MCAT ???

I think somebody couple years ago got in with a 29. He most likely had a very good PS, LOCs and GPA to go in hand.

29 is on the low side. I think more than the total score, distribution is important. So try to have 10 or above in each section - you should be good then.

Anyone already bought 59275K USD, yet?

I think I'm going to give in and buy it tomorrow or Friday.

I've mentioned this before, but use Sallie Mae TuitionPay to pay for tuition.

Though I guess you only get special rates for $50k+, so you'll have to convert a big amount eventually.

hey guys.. so I got into Wayne State today but I was thinking of deferring for personal reasons. Does anyone know how open Wayne State is to deferrals? Or anything else about defered admission?

Thanks for ur help guys!

hey quick question, you got into wayne state on the first day of june 2009, does that mean you applied there last summer and just found out this month?

If say I get interviewd in October, and get accepted in December, is it true I would only have 3 weeks to confirm the acceptance? What If I want to wait on the Canadian schools, that dont release till May?????

You have 3 weeks to confirm you want to hold the acceptance, but you can still withdraw at any time until May 15th of the next year. After that if you withdraw you'll just lose your deposit, but you'll always have the choice of dropping it for a Canadian school.

You have 3 weeks to confirm you want to hold the acceptance, but you can still withdraw at any time until May 15th of the next year. After that if you withdraw you'll just lose your deposit, but you'll always have the choice of dropping it for a Canadian school.

Just to add, the deposit at Wayne is only $50. Most schools are $50 or $100 so it isn't like you'll be putting down a lot of money.

Archived