Premed 101 Forums

question about AMCAS 2010

I just found it, thanks Jochi. AMCAS is a sexy beast!

From the FAQ:

I applied to AMCAS in 2008. Do I need to enter all my information again?

No. Information entered into a 2008 AMCAS Application will "roll-over" to the AMCAS 2009 application.

Guest viscous

ok so I was reading AMCAS instructions, for Canadian Applicants it says that "select the province in which you were born .... ". Can we still choose a country of birth in this section if it is other than Canada while we now possess Canadian citizenship???? So basically, does AMCAS acknowledge the fact that Canadians can be people who were NOT born in Canada?

Moreover, I graduated from a high school in a country that some Americans might take as an "extremist" state. Would graduating from a high school from that country introduce any bias against me just because I studied there?

under section 1 "identifying information".. you can select the country of birth to be "other".. then actually choose a country and a city. But then in section 3 you can choose your citizenship to be Canadian.

Regarding your other question.. I have a similar dilemma because I did a lot of activities as an Arabic language tutor and course exam corrector etc, and I did my highschool in Syria and even one year in Saudi Arabia (which I assume is what you are talking about here).. but I will still mention all that. I think it will give me credit for having experiences in different countries.. If i get invited to interview they will realize sooner or later that I'm Middle Eastern, so might as well try to use it first to my advantage. just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Username,

I think the information rolls over only if you actually applied (ie paid the fee/submitted the application) the year before...

I was wondering about that myself and I sent an email to AMCAS to inquire, and this is the response I got:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for contacting AMCAS.

The application information will only roll over to the next year if you physically submitted the application and paid the fee from the previous application cycle. Otherwise, the only information that will be saved will be your contact information.

Even if your information does roll over, you can still make any changes you would like to it before submission.

However, you will still have to re-send your transcripts to AMCAS even if they were submitted the previous year.

Applicants are free to print their previous applications while they are still open so they can view their previous entries if the information does not rollover.

If you have any questions or if we can be of additional assistance, please contact us at AMCAS@aamc.org or (202) 828-0600.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest viscous
Does this include reference letters? i.e. we don't have to re-send reference letters if they were sent directly to AMCAS?

so for most schools, except a few that participate with AMCAS, we will be sending LORs directly to the school and not AMCAS? Just wanted to confirm this.

Guest viscous
so for most schools, except a few that participate with AMCAS, we will be sending LORs directly to the school and not AMCAS? Just wanted to confirm this.

anyone? ???

• 3 weeks later...
Guest viscous

well since amcas 2010 is out, just wondering which schools require us to enter the information for our Parents/Guardians? I am thinking to ignore this field unless some school specifically requires it. Any ideas?

Guest viscous

here is another question for the experienced ones: on UofT transcript, the full year courses are listed in both fall and winter semesters but the fall marks says "in Progress" and the marks are only given in the winter semester section of these full year courses. Let me give an example:

fall

bio101H1 99%

chm101Y1 In Progress

Winter

bio102H1 99%

chm101Y1 100%

so while entering the courses on AMCAS, what order will I follow?

bio101h1

chm101y1

bio102h1

OR

bio101h1

bio102h1

chm101y1

maybe a stupid question but I really want to get it right.

here is another question for the experienced ones: on UofT transcript, the full year courses are listed in both fall and winter semesters but the fall marks says "in Progress" and the marks are only given in the winter semester section of these full year courses. Let me give an example:

fall

bio101H1 99%

chm101Y1 In Progress

Winter

bio102H1 99%

chm101Y1 100%

so while entering the courses on AMCAS, what order will I follow?

bio101h1

chm101y1

bio102h1

OR

bio101h1

bio102h1

chm101y1

maybe a stupid question but I really want to get it right.

viscous,

- some schools ask you again on the secondaries for information about your parents/guardians, but enter it on the primary unless you have a particular reservation about doing so.

- how are the courses listed on your official U of T transcript? follow your transcript exactly, and it will be fine.

Guest viscous
viscous,

- some schools ask you again on the secondaries for information about your parents/guardians, but enter it on the primary unless you have a particular reservation about doing so.

- how are the courses listed on your official U of T transcript? follow your transcript exactly, and it will be fine.

thanks dude, appreciate that.

two more questions:

1- For UofT guys, what are you entering in "Academic Term" field full year courses? Are you choosing "Full year - semester system"?

2- There is no 'Spring' semester at UoFt, rather it is called "winter semester." So is Uoft's winter = spring of Amcas?

Archived