Premed 101 Forums

Masters question

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question--> I'm considering pursuing a masters. However, the program that I'm interested in is 2 years in length. Can one apply to professional school before those 2 years are up? Or do you have to finish the program.

Thanks.

You can *apply* in the duration of your MSc, but only in the final stretch of your degree. i.e. at some schools you will need to show something to demonstrate that you are finishing in the application process and almost definitely (I haven't seen the contrary) at some point before matriculation that you have defended and submitted your thesis.

I very seriously highly do not recommend quitting your MSc for any school, even if schools allow it. You leave your supervisor in a bind and you tie up data and funding and all that has gone into the drain. That's...burning serious bridges.

Oh, and don't apply in your first year (if they don't indicate that you have to be in your second year to apply) hoping that they will defer your acceptance. Don't bank on it.

I should point out that I know people who have finished up their M.Sc. during the summer months after 1st or 2nd year of med.

It seems to depend on the school and the individual's circumstances.

My only suggestion, being on a one year deferral myself, is to be honest with your supervisor. Ultimately, most schools will defer the decision to your boss. ie. if he/she supports your case to admissions in writing, your chance of getting what you want is much higher. The reverse is probably true is as well.

You can *apply* in the duration of your MSc, but only in the final stretch of your degree. i.e. at some schools you will need to show something to demonstrate that you are finishing in the application process and almost definitely (I haven't seen the contrary) at some point before matriculation that you have defended and submitted your thesis.

I very seriously highly do not recommend quitting your MSc for any school, even if schools allow it. You leave your supervisor in a bind and you tie up data and funding and all that has gone into the drain. That's...burning serious bridges.

Oh, and don't apply in your first year (if they don't indicate that you have to be in your second year to apply) hoping that they will defer your acceptance. Don't bank on it.

Archived