Premed 101 Forums

Radiology - Help !!!

Hi...

I'm attending med school in quebec (laval) (2nd year). I did an electrical engineering degree with medical imaging specialization before as well as a master in biomedical science (MRI applied to Cardiac surgery optimization). I work a lot... but I'm barely on average... :( I know that radiology program is really competitive ... I'm starting to freak about grades... !!!

I did some publications, did somes orals presentations in differents congress... well... the question is : Do I have to forget radiology !?:(

Thanks for advices, comments or insults... :P

The reason why I want to do radiology is because I want to do research... and I don't want to consider my engineering background as "welcome ticket" for med school...

Dr.Poche (for translation... Poche means poor... ! :D )

The reason why I want to do radiology is because I want to do research...

There are people on here who know much more about this topic than me (like Kirsteen!), but radiology may not be the best specialty to pursue if you want to do research. I have had heard from some residents and staff that it is very difficult to be hired as a clinician-scientist radiologist in a large academic center. The explanation they gave is that because radiologists bill as a group, hiring a CI/CS would bring down the group billing assuming you have an 80-20 split. Effectively, your colleagues would be subsidizing your research salary, and many groups are reluctant to do so.

Not all specialties run into this problem. Pathologists, for example, are paid by salary from the hospital, which is happy for them do to research. This might explain why a large chunk of MD/PhDs go into path.

Apologies for sidetracking this thread...

Hi...

I'm attending med school in quebec (laval) (2nd year). I did an electrical engineering degree with medical imaging specialization before as well as a master in biomedical science (MRI applied to Cardiac surgery optimization). I work a lot... but I'm barely on average... :( I know that radiology program is really competitive ... I'm starting to freak about grades... !!!

I did some publications, did somes orals presentations in differents congress... well... the question is : Do I have to forget radiology !?:(

The reason why I want to do radiology is because I want to do research... and I don't want to consider my engineering background as "welcome ticket" for med school...

Hi there,

First of all, are your grades reported on your dean's letter or transcripts or does Laval have an H/P/F or P/F system? If either of the latter then I wouldn't fret too, too much. Also, grades are only one part of the whole application.

As for radiology and research there's a lot I could say, but in short, we need more people like you. To wit, there are now programs, e.g., the direct-entry UofT, Radiologist-Scientist Training Program that offer places to those who are keen on both, research and radiology. As for careers, UofT has been offering a number of positions for radiologist-scientists, i.e., 40% clinical and 60% research time.

Overall, take heart, try to improve your grades and keep working on the other aspects of your application.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Thanks Kirsteen !

For Laval, there is grades (A+/A/A-,B+/B/B-, etc.) directly on the official paper without average. Frenchs med school still have grades... but I suppose they won't have choice in a nearly future to switch to F/P system...

The average is above B+ ... I know that the grades are only part of CARMs process... but imagine a right fresh collegian student with a wonderful memory (at 26 ... the memory isn't the same as 10 years ago !!! :P ) that got a A average... it is really over mine... !

I know there is a lot of research to do in medical imaging ... but we need grades to get in...

I'm just freaking out a little bit when I see a younger student with 90% in an exam with 75% average... and my 74% with honestly a lot of work... !!!:(

Anyways... I'll do externship and see... If I don't get it... I'll find something else ... but for now (and few years now), the radiology is the goal...

Thanks for advices and comments !!! This is what I want... advices from Rad. residents ! :)

Cheers...

Dr.Poche... (that want to be less poor... :P)

P.S. is there any way or possibilities , by example, after a cardiology residency, to do MRI/Echo Fellowship and do cardiac imaging as well as radiologist !? (it can be another way to reach goal !!!):D ... All Routes lead to rome

P.S. is there any way or possibilities , by example, after a cardiology residency, to do MRI/Echo Fellowship and do cardiac imaging as well as radiologist !? (it can be another way to reach goal !!!):D ... All Routes lead to rome

Hey there Dr. P.,

There might be some ways to complete a cardiology residency followed by some rads training when you finally get to that point, but I'm not up on those paths now (as that's not a route that I intend to take). However, it does seem, these days, that the cardio folks are quite keen to be involved in cardiac imaging. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived