Premed 101 Forums

Howard

Hey guys

anybody knows what's up with Howard University? According to MSAR they require an MCAT of 8,8,9,O and cGPA of 3.4 and they are significantly cheaper to non-residents at 29K. they accepted 12 internationals. Is this an extremely low tire school?

*EDIT: so it's a predominately black university. Did anybody apply to this school this round??

Guest copacetic
Hey guys

anybody knows what's up with Howard University? According to MSAR they require an MCAT of 8,8,9,O and cGPA of 3.4 and they are significantly cheaper to non-residents at 29K. they accepted 12 internationals. Is this an extremely low tire school?

*EDIT: so it's a predominately black university. Did anybody apply to this school this round??

the amount you quoted is for american students who are out of state. if you are an international / canadian you will be paying significantly more. around 45K from my understanding.

Hey guys

Don't be fooled by Howard's numbers. It's a very big fit school. Just because an applicant's numbers exceeds their matriculated student averages, doesn't at all mean that an applicant will get an inteview/acceptance from there. They are VERY selective.

Med schools like Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, and UCLA Drew have a mandate to serve the underserved and increase the number of URM physicians. Thus, they tend to mostly accept URM's. They do accept a few non-URM's, but they must have shown a demonstrated record of serving underserved/disadvantaged communities.

I know that Meharry has been known to accept Canadian URM's (I know someone that goes there). But I don't think that Howard, Morehouse, or UCLA Drew accept Canadians at all.

I agree with Dayne.

You can still be accepted if you're not URM, but then you likely wouldn't have a passion for primary care in underserved minority heavy areas. Even if you can fool the adcom, you might not feel satisfied once enrolled.

And if you are URM you can probably get into "better" schools (with a broader range of focus).

• 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's a historically black univeristy, which means that now it accepts non black students, but has a mission of training doctors who have an acknowledged service to the black community. So if you're not black and interested in Howard you should have deomonstrated experience and committment to service in the minority community.

Archived