Premed 101 Forums

Travel Medical Insurance?

Hi all,

Does anyone know of reliable & comprehensive Travel Medical Insurance companies? I'll be traveling in the summer to a rural east-Asian community and doing clinical research, so I'd be involved daily with the locals, the environment, etc......

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

So as someone mentionned check your school's coverage, as many include travel insurance.

I have used RBC alot in the past.

Whoever you go with, make sure that you have evacuation coverage included, so that if you do get sick and need to get to adequate facilities, that will be covered. Should also cover someone to accompany you.

when i went to east/southeast asia a bit over a year ago i found a co-operators insurance place and they had the cheapest coverage and it was the same coverage as everywhere else. Think it came to about $180ish for 135ish days. Had no problem with it either when i had to have my appendix out while in thailand!

http://www.cooperators.ca/

Thanks everyone! Will def. look into both of those!.

MillerTime, Did you have to pay for your appendix fees upfront? And get reimbursed from the insurance after you got back?

It ended up being a $1600 bill (or something around that), and I only had to pay about $17 out of pocket when I was discharged, which were fees for using the phone and some "other" fee. When I got back to Canada and finished filling out all the forms they told me to submit all the receipts, and they ended up sending me a cheque for the $17.

The hospital said that if the insurance didn't pay by the time I left then I would have to, but the insurance company took care of it all.

Archived