Premed 101 Forums

shadowing a doctor

Has anyone ever shadowed a doctor? It seems this is a big premed trend but I have no idea how to approach it. Do you shadow a hospital or a clinic doctor? Do you have to know a doctor or are there shadowing programs? Are they competitive or anything?

I know a couple doctors but wanted to find out more before I approached them about this. Any advice is appreciated.

________

volcano digital vaporizer

I've shadowed and I think it's a very valuble experience + it's obviously something good to put on your CV. You might as well see directly what you're getting yourself into. You can shadow whoever is letting you (I think I shadowed docs from 6ish specialties). It's not as easy as just showing up, though. You have to first find some docs willing to take you which can sometimes be challenging. I was given the opportunity via the researcher I worked with in the summer (she asked some of her collegues). Then you have to fill in some standard confidentiality paperwork.

From my experience a majority of doctors will only allow you to shadow them within their only clinic. Although, there is a select few who will allow you to follow them around in the hospital. In regard to setting up shadowing experience it is usually dependent on who you know. A lot of my opportunities came as a result of: volunteering in a hospital, my mom (she works at a Diagnostic Imaging Clinic) and my family doctor. Talk to your family doctor! They might know someone you could shadow, and may in fact allow you to shadow them.

Best of luck :)

Kyle

Archived