Premed 101 Forums

BioMed Mechanical Engineer

Hi all,

I am finishing up my 3rd year of BME MecEng and am planning on applying to med school after graduation. I realize most canadian schools accept more applicants with degrees than say 2nd or 3rd years (or at least your chances of getting an interview are much better), but would any schools put a greater emphasis on the undergraduate degree you pursued? would having an BME engineering degree have a more positive impact than say having an arts/science degree (i dont think so but just curious).

Also, if I have a 4.0 cGPA (lowest mark is an A so far) and have had 3 clinical research co-op terms, would I need much volunteering and what kind of MCAT score should I be aiming for?

Thanks

Official story is no, degree doesn't matter. Unofficial story is less clear. However, it's probably not a make it or break it type of deal. The biggest advantage you'll get is that it's not a typical pre-med degree and you won't have the typical pre-med story, which may make you more interesting/easier to remeber.

Volunteering is super important for you. Your fighting the stereotypical engineer personality profile when you apply. A physician said to me when I was applying to medicine "We know you're bright, you did engineering. You need to convince the medical community that you're not some socially inept calculator jocky." In this respect, volunteering is key. You're trying to show the adcom that you have a personality and are socially competant.

As for the MCAT, it's the same as everyone else. 30+ R+.

Archived