Premed 101 Forums

Things to Consider?

Hello there,

Just curious, this question is addressing those med students that were accepted to more than one medical school. I am not sure if this has been posted anywhere else in the past (if so can someone please point me in the right direction).

I was wondering what were the things one should consider about each school in terms of making the final decision to spend the next four+ years?

thanks,

Velociraptor

I guess academic program (how is their program structured, what exactly will you be doing each year, how is clerkship structured, how are the courses and days structured, how are you tested, is it pass/fail or pass/fail/honours), elective opportunities, research opportunities and funding for research, community the school is located in (i.e. city features, housing, extracurriculars), and I also thought of other things that would apply to me personally (i.e. pediatric hospital in the city as I enjoy peds, etc.)

You could also talk to students at each school and determine whether you would enjoy the atmosphere and also how close you'd be to family and friends (if that is important for you).

I do not know how helpful that is, take care.

I guess academic program (how is their program structured, what exactly will you be doing each year, how is clerkship structured, how are the courses and days structured, how are you tested, is it pass/fail or pass/fail/honours), elective opportunities, research opportunities and funding for research, community the school is located in (i.e. city features, housing, extracurriculars), and I also thought of other things that would apply to me personally (i.e. pediatric hospital in the city as I enjoy peds, etc.)

You could also talk to students at each school and determine whether you would enjoy the atmosphere and also how close you'd be to family and friends (if that is important for you).

I do not know how helpful that is, take care.

Those are all important factors, but most important is what is #1 for YOU.

Are you more concerned with the city? the program? the research?

Once you decide what your priorities are, the decision will become much easier.

Good luck!

Location, location, location

The students. You'll find each school attracts a different breed, and you'll fit in better with a certain type. Some schools attract the super keener gunners, while others have more down-to-earth students. There's always exceptions, but each school definitely has its own personality.

Then everything else.

I agree with the importance placed on location. You are spending 3-4 years of your life in the place so you better like living there!

As for the students, it's harder to get a sense of what type of students an institution attracts. I feel that every school will have different types of students and you end up finding a group you feel more comfortable with.

I think the first two years of med school (pre-clerkship) is pretty similar across Canada. You will be spending most of your time in a "classroom" environment whether it be lectures or small groups. If you benefit from learning mostly in a group focused on problems, a school with a heavy emphasis on PBL (eg: Mac) might be the way to go.

Also look at how the school trains it's students in skills such as communication, physical exam etc. and how feedback is provided. It makes a huge difference in clerkship if you are already competent in these things.

Check out the clerkship schedules of the different schools you were accepted at. If a school offers more elective time, multiple clerkship track options etc, it may be a better fit if you are going for a competitive specialty. Also, check the publications of faculty at departments you may be interested in, as this will give you a good idea about possible research opportunities in the future.

It's hard to research all these things before your in medical school. I think it is safe to say that all Canadian medical schools are great and will make you into a good physician. Good luck!

Archived