Premed 101 Forums

Practicing in the US

If a Canadian dentist wants to practice in the US, does on have to take a test? or do 3rd and 4th year dental school in the US?

How does that work?

I looked on ADA, it keeps saying "dentists from outside the US and Canada." It doesn't actually give any info about dentists from Canada wanting to practice in the US.

If a Canadian dentist wants to practice in the US, does on have to take a test? or do 3rd and 4th year dental school in the US?

How does that work?

I looked on ADA, it keeps saying "dentists from outside the US and Canada." It doesn't actually give any info about dentists from Canada wanting to practice in the US.

You just take the US national board exams and any other state-specific exams (if applicable). The only thing I'm not sure of is the timing of these exams, however, I think you just take them during 4th year. It's not a bad idea. After all, you'll be studying for the Canadian boards, why not just write the American boards at the same time?

Four things:

1-NBDE I. You can take it anytime during or after your second year D2. (Advice: take it after D2 and before you forget your basic science stuff)

2-NBDE II. Anytime during or after your fourth year.

3-Regional Board (NERB, WREB, or CRDTS. etc...). This is a three parts exam usually taken on weekends during the fourth year. Only NERB (North East Regional Board, which is accepted by 45 states btw) is giving in Canada (Dal). The others to take in the US.

4-State Ethics exam. A piece of cake, taken prior to licensure. Contact State authority.

Archived