Premed 101 Forums

Is Health Sci a bird program?

It is easier to achieve high grades in Hlth Sci/Kin than in Science/Engineering.  

6 members have voted

1. 1. It is easier to achieve high grades in Hlth Sci/Kin than in Science/Engineering.

• True
    • False

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A) Most of us here have a higher interest in medicine than our undergrad program, and that's clearly the goal for all of us. Although, it is nice to have a backup plan.

B) In general, you will study harder and do better in something that you're interested in. But in the end, some courses and programs are, in general, easier than others. There should either be an overt move towards standardizing Canadian undergraduate class averages (maybe in proportion to the mean entering grade for the student makeup of the class) or a push towards standardizing med school admissions.

which is why you shoulda applied to health sci or kin so that your end "goal" would be more obtainable... its your own choice what undergrad you chose... so dont harp on "oh no this faculty has higher marks... and its EASIER!" lets all cry over it...

A) Most of us here have a higher interest in medicine than our undergrad program, and that's clearly the goal for all of us. Although, it is nice to have a backup plan.

B) In general, you will study harder and do better in something that you're interested in. But in the end, some courses and programs are, in general, easier than others. There should either be an overt move towards standardizing Canadian undergraduate class averages (maybe in proportion to the mean entering grade for the student makeup of the class) or a push towards standardizing med school admissions.

Ok, if A) is true, then you would have taken a "bird program" to get into med school and we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place.

And if you suggest we do B), how are we going to go about standardizing for different universities too? Because I'm sure some programs are harder at certain universities than others.

Best advice: major in what you like, study hard, do the best you can and hopefully the med school acceptance will come. If not, at least you studied what you liked and if you have to do some additional schooling (masters, Ph.D etc.) to eventually get in, you won't be hating your life every day.

*** DISCLAIMER ****

I dont believe at all that health sci is easier... i actually think its harder than courses like calc and other sciences courses that require you to study for 2 midterms and one exam... straight forward and spit it back out...

which is why you shoulda applied to health sci or kin so that your end "goal" would be more obtainable... its your own choice what undergrad you chose... so dont harp on "oh no this faculty has higher marks... and its EASIER!" lets all cry over it...

Process simulation exam in a couple days...i'm up for a good cry.

girls like that in guys right? :cool:

What I worry about is that the med admissions process in fact punishes students who happen to choose to follow their interest in tougher undergrad programs.

For most of us, the goal is med school and thus many of us may be willing to take classes/programs that we're less interested in in order to have a better chance at admission. This is counter what all adcoms seem to be advocating: "do what you like, and have a backup plan".

What I worry about is that the med admissions process in fact punishes students who happen to choose to follow their interest in tougher undergrad programs.

Exactly. For students to get into health sci program, they have to do well in highschool. Really well. However, health sci does not push as hard as the rest of the programs. Definitely not as hard as engineering, science or even humanities. Academically speaking, the health sci is not as rigorous as any single science or engineering degree. Health sci students have great potential and nobody is disputing that, but we mustn't confuse an A in health science with an A in engineering or any other degree for even the slightest moment. It isn't the same. Everyone knows that...

*** DISCLAIMER ****

I dont believe at all that health sci is easier... i actually think its harder than courses like calc and other sciences courses that require you to study for 2 midterms and one exam... straight forward and spit it back out...

missy10, you are in health sci. Of course you will say it is hard if not even harder.

missy10, you are in health sci. Of course you will say it is hard if not even harder.

lol you dont read my posts... im in KINESIOLOGY ... which does not equal health sci at mac.... man cling... if ur gonna rebuttle ppl read their arguments... i just really like health scis... lots of them are friends of mine

lol you dont read my posts... im in KINESIOLOGY ... which does not equal health sci at mac.... man cling... if ur gonna rebuttle ppl read their arguments... i just really like health scis... lots of them are friends of mine

All your posts are defending health sci students.

If you expect people to believe that...here goes this: I am a famous atronaut seeking fair consideration of engineering students GPA in the game of medschool admissions. ;)

Get real

Quick question missy:

If it were possible to prove that one program were easier than another, would you be for or against changing the way adcoms consider GPA?

Obviously no... too much self-interest. It is a good thing it really isn't up to missy or me or any student, but the admissions committee. We are here to argue and raise noise!!!:D

Exactly. For students to get into health sci program, they have to do well in highschool. Really well. However, health sci does not push as hard as the rest of the programs. Definitely not as hard as engineering, science or even humanities. Academically speaking, the health sci is not as rigorous as any single science or engineering degree. Health sci students have great potential and nobody is disputing that, but we mustn't confuse an A in health science with an A in engineering or any other degree for even the slightest moment. It isn't the same. Everyone knows that...

Ok, then how do you suggest we go about comparing an A in a biochemistry program at Laurentian vs. an A in biochemistry at McGill? I'm not hating on Laurentian here, but you see my point.

Ok, then how do you suggest we go about comparing an A in a biochemistry program at Laurentian vs. an A in biochemistry at McGill? I'm not hating on Laurentian here, but you see my point.

One step at a time. We already have the OMSAS conversion scale. How do you think that was put in place?

We will do the same for different programs! Or better yet, GPA will not make or break anyone, and it will be considered along with the MCAT score, using something similar to the LizzyM criterion to evaluate academic competitiveness! We are all smart people, we will think of something :D

Quick question missy:

If it were possible to prove that one program were easier than another, would you be for or against changing the way adcoms consider GPA?

I dont believe you can determine or prove that and even if you could... i think that nothing should be done with how adcoms consider GPA... I highly doubt you can EVER fix this or if it even needs fixing... its the same with highschools and getting into undergrad... some private highschools are harder than some public or w/e and that could prevent ppl from getting into faculties iwth high cutoffs i.e. health sci with its approx. 93% cutoff... life just isn't 100% fair...

but my point still stands... if u knew that one program was a lil easier than another... you still had the freedom of choice for ur undergrad... why chose engineering - a hard degree meant to pump out professional engineers and then apply to medical school... really doesnt make a lot of sense... both GPA wise and theoretically... a health sciences degree (at any university) most likely prepares you better both theoretically and by potentially a higher GPA according to your logic...

One step at a time. We already have the OMSAS conversion scale. How do you think that was put in place?

We will do the same for different programs! Or better yet, GPA will not make or break anyone, and it will be considered along with the MCAT score, using something similar to the LizzyM criterion to evaluate academic competitiveness! We are all smart people, we will think of something :D

haha good luck with that ;)

Plenty of HS kids don't know which programs are easier, which classes lead to better grades. And plenty of them choose their eng undergrad because they're interested in the field, only later to find out that they have a passion for medicine.

If we are really expected to believe what the adcoms feed us: "do what you like", then you might end up with a worse GPA and get stuck with choice B, rather than choice A (medicine).

PS. Its official: Significantly more forum readers believe that Hlth Sci/Kin are bird courses in comparison (15-5). The two-tailed P value equals 0.0253. lol.

I highly doubt you can EVER fix this

Doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

life just isn't 100% fair...

Life is not fair, sure. Does it mean it shouldn't be made more fair? Of course not. Med school admissions do care and they are constantly working on ways to improve the admissions process. They are openminded people who understand the problems and will try their best to make it as good as possible.

but my point still stands... if u knew that one program was a lil easier than another... you still had the freedom of choice for ur undergrad... why chose engineering - a hard degree meant to pump out professional engineers and then apply to medical school

Not everyone decided to become a doctor (or didn't give in to their parents' pressure) in highschool. Many people decide they want to pursue medicine during university, when people tend to be more mature and in touch with reality when it comes to the medical field. These people should not be at a disadvantage.

cling with ur accusations on health sci... you are the one who is not open minded... how can you compare when you havent done it? you are an outsider looking in... all you have is hersay... and rumors... where is ur EVIDENCE that it is easier... a higher GPA average? that is a ****ty excuse because of a lot of the FACTS presented in teh other thread... u are beating a dying horse... get over it... and focus on your own life and ur own ambitions and stop trying to drag people down

PS. Its official: Significantly more forum readers believe that Hlth Sci/Kin are bird courses in comparison (15-5). The two-tailed P value equals 0.0253.

But there's no evidence to back that up :) And lots more evidence to the contrary.

Besides, n=20 is a pretty small sample size, lol.

Honestly, at the end of the day, each faculty has easy courses and each has harder courses. Some of the upper year history courses I've taken were much harder than the 1st year physics/calculus/chemistry courses that I took. And most inquiry-based hth sci courses are harder, in my humble opinion, when compared to 2-midterms-and-a-final-exam kind of biochem/science courses. (<-- I find these very easy; maybe that's why I did well on the MCAT). Some science courses are harder than some hth sci courses like first year Inquiry in terms of workload.

If medical schools start taking into account the 'difficulty' of a program, they better have a very very good evidence-based method that they can use :) Otherwise, I fail to see how that would make the system any more 'fair'.

Finally, I think that you can make your points without dragging a specific program into this. It's offensive. I work very hard for the grades that I get, and to have some anonymous forum go-ers tell me that it's because my courses are inherently easier makes me a little annoyed. Just as I cannot completely appreciate what being in an Engineering program is like, you can't appreciate what being in HTH SCI is like. Stop picking what you think are the 'easy' aspects of it, and focus on the 'easy' and the 'difficult'.

Archived