Premed 101 Forums

UofT vs Western

London is in the snowbelt of Ontario. There is snow 6 months of the year. It snows at least once before Halloween, there's snow on the ground all Nov-March, and the forecast says snow for next week. Shovelling and salting the driveway, scraping off the car in the morning, and being knee-deep in snow on the walk to school is a PAIN! You'd think a place only 2 hours away from Toronto wouldn't have such extreme weather, but it does!

If I had the choice to choose between U of T and Western I would pick U of T, but unfortunately I don't have that choice. So although it's better for me for you guys to pick U of T, I honestly mean it too! :)

I dream about the shopping in Toronto and it makes me sad I'm going to miss out on it. But of course education is more important that shopping lol.

So I just looked up the rankings of UWO and UofT online. Apparently UofT is #41 worldwide, and UWO is #159. Quite a big difference. Though, I'm not sure how credible this website is - topuniversities.com. Anybody know?

A lot of those rankings are based on research papers published from that university, which would be good if you'd wanna pursue a PhD or something. There's only 2 dentistry schools in Ontario, so do you really think one would be better than the other? I'd think they both keep about equivalent standards, so both, in terms of dentistry, are great schools.

In terms of the curriculum change, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't know about being first yr 'guinea pigs' because this is a big established university we're talking about and it wouldn't want to take that risk and knows what it's doing. If anything, they'd be more lenient in a good way, and follow our demands for the 'benefit of the doubt.' And I'd think a newer revamped curriculum should be better than an aged one, because through research and whatnot they probably found this new way makes you a better dentist or something.

there are some biased opinions here, so use this thread with caution..;)

and i agree, the curriculum change is not a problem because ultimately, you will still become a good dentist in the end

both schools are great, so just make the choice that is right for you :)

Well, it seems that based on the Schulich dentistry alumni newsletter, there will be fewer differences between western and U of T, with regards to their curriculum. Initially, I prefered Western because it gets hands on straight away. With the new changes, the Western first years will have to wait just as long as the UofT students. Who knows though, honestly. Everyones experience will be different, and we can't really say which school is better than the other...especially since we are not yet dental students! haha.

agreed!

i wonder why western would choose to delay their hands-on experience...that was a huge advantage for them, no?? in terms of attracting students?

if i went to western, i'd wanna boast about drilling in the first week teehee! but i guess now it won't happen...shucks

and now we're only debating food and city lolz i guess everyone's got their preferences

Archived