Premed 101 Forums

Early Decision Program advantages??

I've heard a lot of US schools offering the Early Decision program, which is:

"This program is offered to applicants who are interested in applying only to Upstate. Requirements for the Early Decision Program are the same as for regular admissions, except that the AMCAS Early Decision application deadline is August 1 and the deadline to have a complete application on file is August 15.

Acceptance decisions are made prior to October 1. Candidates not accepted Early Decision may apply to other schools and will automatically be considered under the regular admissions process after October 1."

Just wondering, are there any stats for this program? I would hazard a guess that less pre-meds utilize this program, so maybe your chances are better, but I'm not sure....but it seems stupid if you are put in the same pool as the other applicants, or why would this program exist!!................. anyone?

It's for people who know for sure they want to go to a certain school (usually in state). It makes it easier I suppose for an adcom because they don't have to question a student's desire to attend.

You still have to be competitive (schools aren't going to give offers to just anybody), and probably more so because they have less people to compare you with.

Also, this topic has been brought up before and if you'd do a simple search you'd probably realize that.

Archived