Premed 101 Forums

What have applicants this year learned about last year's cycle?

I still think it makes a difference. I'm not saying the other factors (GPA, MCAT, ECs, PS) aren't important. Those other factors are what will get you an interview. But it's difficult to decide which candidates are best qualified, when everyone after the interview is friendly, has volunteered, had great work experience, has shadowed, has good marks, a great MCAT score, etc. So when they're making a final admissions decision, the school you went to is one more factor they can use. Again, this probably only matters at schools with a fancy brand name, but it definitely matters. I've seen the entering class profiles with undergrad institutions listed -- these lists speak the truth. Specific Canadian program reputations like "international affairs at Carleton" have no meaning in the US. McGill and Toronto (and maybe UBC) are the only schools with any international weight.

Also, Silvermen -- didn't you do a graduate degree somewhere else? Or have affiliations with a school with a strong reputation?

If so, my point stands :)

...but you haven't even applied yet!

Well if we are going to put a halo around McGill, I would probably give one to mcmaster as well.

The reason why you have top schools represented is two fold:

1) there are smart people there and smart people will do well wherever they go

2) these schools hold so many opportunities for a lot of things that can enhance your application (some cool research).

3) its nice to supplement your high GPA with a good school reputation. That's all that its used anyways.

No one will be like, hmmm..A had a great interview, great stats, oh but look, I don't know his school. Lets choose B instead.

Rankings are definitely a bit overrated...and a person will not necessarily end up attending the top school out of all the ones they got into. In undergrad, I got into a school ranked 11th and a school ranked 25th, among others (lower-ranked). I opted to go to#25 - urban location (vs. rural for #11) and a MUCH better scholarship package (we're talking savings of like $30,000 over 4 years).

One of the main reasons that #11 was ranked 11 and not 15, 20, or 25 was the $1 billion endowment. The size of the endowment is a HUGE consideration in undergrad rankings. My undergrad was locked into some financial contracts that led to it losing large amounts of $, which consequently resulted in a lower ranking that it deserved, IMO.

I still think it makes a difference. I'm not saying the other factors (GPA, MCAT, ECs, PS) aren't important. Those other factors are what will get you an interview. But it's difficult to decide which candidates are best qualified, when everyone after the interview is friendly, has volunteered, had great work experience, has shadowed, has good marks, a great MCAT score, etc. So when they're making a final admissions decision, the school you went to is one more factor they can use. Again, this probably only matters at schools with a fancy brand name, but it definitely matters. I've seen the entering class profiles with undergrad institutions listed -- these lists speak the truth. Specific Canadian program reputations like "international affairs at Carleton" have no meaning in the US. McGill and Toronto (and maybe UBC) are the only schools with any international weight.

Also, Silvermen -- didn't you do a graduate degree somewhere else? Or have affiliations with a school with a strong reputation?

If so, my point stands :)

I think being in some top schools can indirectly help you since more than likely some people on the adcom could be your alumini. A Harvard graduate will have a more favorable opinion towards someone who is also from Harvard compared to someone from Carleton.

Alastriss -- I did apply! I quoted what my interviewers told me. And in your example, if candidates A and B both had a great interview and great stats (likely scenario), and they didn't know A's institution, they WOULD choose B. Probably for the reason that Silvermen mentioned which is a fondness for mutual alumni. Or simply because of the "reputation" of the school. And yeah -- it's a lot harder to distinguish the majority of Canadian schools from one another. And that's why the McGill/Toronto "halo" exists -- because they are distinguishable from the rest.

Archived