Premed 101 Forums

Changing career path to pharmacy, overwhelmed u_u.

Hi everybody,

My name is Danny and I am 22 years old. After not having taken any significant biology/science (in fact no biology whatsoever) in high school, and then graduating with a Communications degree in cegep (Quebec), and THEN going into English Literature at Concordia University, I have been outside of school working full time for about one year now because I simply was lost.

I badly want to reboot myself and I think a career in pharmacy will give my life purpose (as I want to help people and do good). The BIG problem right now is knowing what first step to take. I have no scientific credentials/prerequisites and I want a way to shove my foot in the door. But I am wondering how I can get the chance to prove myself if, say, I apply to an undergraduate degree in uni and they don't accept because of my less... err... scientifically inclined educational history.

I just would love to know where to turn, any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW I am in Quebec but want to study in English, as far as my research tells me, there is Uni of Montreal, Laval, and Sherbrooke, and while I speak french fine, I want an English school. Alright thanks!

Start a general undergrad degree wherever you can, take biology, chemistry, and physics, get the best marks you can, and then apply to pharmacy from there. I'm not really sure what the problem is. You can't fix a problem until it's there. Apply to the schools you'd like to go to.

If you're willing to move to Ontario, I guarantee that Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario will accept you for a general arts degree.

Thanks for the response. I guess I also have to look at each individual pharmacy school in Canada and see their list of required courses (for example the U of Toronto Bachelor of Pharmacy Science program requires 6 specific courses before applying)? I am currently enrolled in Concordia so hopefully I can talk to an adviser and try to apply for a general science program or something.

Any other advice is welcomed! Thanks again!.... exciting.

Hello there,

I don't know much about pharmacy admissions; however, (like you stated) your best bet is to look at all the schools you are interested in applying to and finding out what their requirements are.

Did you finish your English degree? If not, you could transfer those credits into a program that'll help you get your science pre-reqs. Or, if it makes more sense, finish your English major and use up your electives space for the needed science pre-reqs. For the most part, most professional schools don't care if you have a BA or BSc - it just matters that you have a high GPA and great marks on the required courses. Double check this though.

Also, make sure to try and get some health care/ pharmacy related experience (hospital volunteering, shadowing a pharmacist, etc), to make sure this is something you really want to do.

Good luck!

:)

Archived