Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dee, when you activate a new data plan do you automatically get the unlimited two months?? i remember reading that somewhere, so you can check if you got the right plan etc.

I'm not sure but I think that's for new activations. Last time I renewed my contract I didn't get any unlimited months. This time I was told I'd be getting one. Then I called back and they said it wasn't added, and the rep gave me 2. I still want that damn 6gb plan though!

Oh yeah: 2 car heated garage too...

If you lived closer to me I'd fill your garage with tools and spend many winter nights working in your garage. I'll trade you maintenance on your cars for giving me the work space. :)

yay Cnussey :)

So when do you make the trek up here??

The 23rd...we should be there on the 26th.

Congrats on the mortgage and the house! :D

Thanks.

I'm not sure but I think that's for new activations. Last time I renewed my contract I didn't get any unlimited months. This time I was told I'd be getting one. Then I called back and they said it wasn't added, and the rep gave me 2. I still want that damn 6gb plan though!

If you lived closer to me I'd fill your garage with tools and spend many winter nights working in your garage. I'll trade you maintenance on your cars for giving me the work space. :)

Good trade!

My family is really annoying at times. Like really, really annoying and I just can't wait to move out and not have to deal with anything. Just peace and quiet.

I totally agree. I have decided no matter where I end up going next year, I'm moving out, whether it's to a place here in Edmonton, or somewhere else in the country (or world for that matter! haha).

Patiently waiting for MCAT scores for tommorow. Me and cnb88 are both getting them, as well as a couple others around here I think?

The closer it's gotten, the more nervous I get about it! Actually, I think I'm more nervous now than I was writing the stupid thing:rolleyes:. Especially for VR. :S

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)

A Johova Witness just showed up and began his spiel...I said "This is an Anglican Rectory"....he stopped and said "Oh...have a nice day!" and left. LOL. I guess we're a lost cause?

Omg... I seriously hate when they come to the door. They're always like "can we come in and talk to you about the one true religion" and I feel like saying "No you can't- do I look dumb??? You're 2 guys, I'm alone in this house at the moment... really? How dumb do you think I am? And for another, how do you KNOW unequivecolly (sp?) that out of all the religions in the world that yours is the sole "right" one?!" I always say, "No, sorry, I'm content with my religion. Have a nice day!" and close the door. lol. Ugh... I wish I was tall enough to see out the damn peephole in our front door- If I was I wouldn't answer the door then:rolleyes:

Once (YEARS ago) a neighbour down the street called us to tell my mom that they were coming around (can't remember if it was the Jehovah's Witnesses or the Mormans..) just so she'd know not to answer the door. She did anyways- "Welcome! How are you today? You know, you're 5 minutes late. I saw yesterday that you were supposed to be here at exactly 1:23 and it's 1:28 right now! What kept you? The coffee has been ready, and the muffins I baked are cooling off. When I saw into the future yesterday, I just knew that we'd have a great talk today" etc, etc, etc. Meanwhile they guys are backing up slowly down our sidewalk/driveway because they think my mom is a witch/demon because she "saw" into the future! Haha! They avoided our house from then on when they were on their rounds:rolleyes: My mom can be quite the riot sometimes! haha

When she's got nothing better to do she stands there and listens and then when they say something not quite right she'll be like 'oh, what about this part that totally contradicts what you just said'... "uh... um.... well... uh..." and then they leave. Haha!

You, your scores...me, my mortgage. I'm willing to bet the both of you will be fine

Thanks Cnussey! I hope you're right!!

OMFG THE MORTGAGE CAME THROUGH!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HOUSE!

Now I need to get my student loan or I can't get a second degree. Lol.

Congrats!!!!!!!! (The house looks awesome btw!) When do you get to move in?

How do you express your deepest sympathies to someone that has lost their boyfriend at the age of 21? It seems everytime I try, it comes out cold and uncaring. I think I've rewritten my message to her a million times and each time it doesn't say what I want it to say- I can't get the words to express my sympathy and sorrow for the loss of someone she loved so much. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, and here it's happened to one of my very good friends. I didn't know him very well, but I know he will be deeply missed. I'm just in complete shock. So young, so much potential:(

I can't imagine what she is going through right now. They've been dating for the better part of 4 years I think. I wish there was some way I could take away the hurt and pain she is feeling right now, but there is nothing I can do except be there for her as a shoulder to cry on.

*sigh* Why does life have to be so cruel sometimes? :(

How do you express your deepest sympathies to someone that has lost their boyfriend at the age of 21? It seems everytime I try, it comes out cold and uncaring. I think I've rewritten my message to her a million times and each time it doesn't say what I want it to say- I can't get the words to express my sympathy and sorrow for the loss of someone she loved so much. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, and here it's happened to one of my very good friends. I didn't know him very well, but I know he will be deeply missed. I'm just in complete shock. So young, so much potential:(

I can't imagine what she is going through right now. They've been dating for the better part of 4 years I think. I wish there was some way I could take away the hurt and pain she is feeling right now, but there is nothing I can do except be there for her as a shoulder to cry on.

I think with situations like this, there really isn't any words you can (or maybe even should) say. Shared silence is probably appropriate. I think you should just be around this person as much as you can. Um, was it:

-an accident

-illness

-self-inflicted

-other

the answer to that above question would sort of change my specific response to the scenario

I think with situations like this, there really isn't any words you can (or maybe even should) say. Shared silence is probably appropriate. I think you should just be around this person as much as you can. Um, was it:

-an accident

-illness

-self-inflicted

-other

the answer to that above question would sort of change my specific response to the scenario

Umm... accident/other I guess. He was out at the lake swimming, had a seizure and went under. STARS (air ambulance helicopter) got called out, flew him to the hospital and he was put on life support, but didn't make it. So it was really a shock and totally unexpected.

EDIT: Thanks for the advice btw :)... It's so hard- I don't want her to feel like I'm intruding or anything (since I didn't know him well), but I still want her to know that I'm here for her.

I totally agree. I have decided no matter where I end up going next year, I'm moving out, whether it's to a place here in Edmonton, or somewhere else in the country (or world for that matter! haha).

The closer it's gotten, the more nervous I get about it! Actually, I think I'm more nervous now than I was writing the stupid thing:rolleyes:. Especially for VR. :S

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)

Omg... I seriously hate when they come to the door. They're always like "can we come in and talk to you about the one true religion" and I feel like saying "No you can't- do I look dumb??? You're 2 guys, I'm alone in this house at the moment... really? How dumb do you think I am? And for another, how do you KNOW unequivecolly (sp?) that out of all the religions in the world that yours is the sole "right" one?!" I always say, "No, sorry, I'm content with my religion. Have a nice day!" and close the door. lol. Ugh... I wish I was tall enough to see out the damn peephole in our front door- If I was I wouldn't answer the door then:rolleyes:

Once (YEARS ago) a neighbour down the street called us to tell my mom that they were coming around (can't remember if it was the Jehovah's Witnesses or the Mormans..) just so she'd know not to answer the door. She did anyways- "Welcome! How are you today? You know, you're 5 minutes late. I saw yesterday that you were supposed to be here at exactly 1:23 and it's 1:28 right now! What kept you? The coffee has been ready, and the muffins I baked are cooling off. When I saw into the future yesterday, I just knew that we'd have a great talk today" etc, etc, etc. Meanwhile they guys are backing up slowly down our sidewalk/driveway because they think my mom is a witch/demon because she "saw" into the future! Haha! They avoided our house from then on when they were on their rounds:rolleyes: My mom can be quite the riot sometimes! haha

When she's got nothing better to do she stands there and listens and then when they say something not quite right she'll be like 'oh, what about this part that totally contradicts what you just said'... "uh... um.... well... uh..." and then they leave. Haha!

Thanks Cnussey! I hope you're right!!

Congrats!!!!!!!! (The house looks awesome btw!) When do you get to move in?

They r always around. I have dealt with like many of them. I remember once I was bored outta hell and there's this one old lady (very nice lady) came to my house and started the talk. Lets just put it this way, I schooled her with my knowledge in evolution! (no hate from you religious people plz!!) Wanna talk openly about ones view on religion? You gotta take mine as well then!

Newfie is right. Be there for her, hug her, let her cry and cry, she needs to grief and having soeone who is caring and sympathetic, just holding her says it all and is sooo helpful. Time is the best healer, so long as she continues her daily activities when school comes along. Her b/f will be in her heart always, for the rest of her life, but life does move on, it is the inevitable. You don't need to write her, just be there.

Umm... accident/other I guess. He was out at the lake swimming, had a seizure and went under. STARS (air ambulance helicopter) got called out, flew him to the hospital and he was put on life support, but didn't make it. So it was really a shock and totally unexpected.

EDIT: Thanks for the advice btw :)... It's so hard- I don't want her to feel like I'm intruding or anything (since I didn't know him well), but I still want her to know that I'm here for her.

I've had to deal with a similar situation and one of the hardest things for me to accept was that there was no way that could feel totally adequate, or right even, because ultimately the situation is f*cked, and when somebody has died like that, words can't change anything, not even in the slightest amount. Don't try to make it better either - don't say "its ok" or "you'll get through this" because right away, she won't want to get through it, and she knows it'll never be ok, at least in the sense that she was used to until now.

I found the best course of action was help out just by "being" (it sounds weird when i put it like that) there without any attempts to fix or make it better (probably counter-intuitive to us premed types).

I'd just take her out for a coffee, or a beer, or just sit there with her, and whatever she was giving out I'd just go with that. If she wanted to talk about it, then we'd talk. If she wanted to be distracted and laugh for a bit, I'd joke around. If she just wanted someone around to deal with the loneliness but didn't want to talk about the event because it hurt, I'd just stay nearby, quietly.

Wow... my heart broke in half just reading about this. :( I couldn't imagine losing someone like that right now, all of a sudden. I would be devastated.

But I agree with Newf and superman. Just be there for her. Don't try to fix it. If she feels like sitting in silence, do that. If she feels like crying, let her cry. That's all you could do and do it in person - don't write anything. Go to her and give her a hug. Silence and actions mean so much more than words ever will.

Mike is right, silence is appropriate. Just visiting and sitting there, is appropriate. Writing down your memories and pouring out your heart on a card is appropriate. Buying a sympathy card that says some generic, bland message--not appropriate and unhelpful. Write it on paper, express how you have tried and tried to write something and nothing seems good enough (because it's not! That's what you actually need to say!)...tell her your heart aches for her and how you wish you could do something. That's all.

We see so much death b/c of Andrew's job...I can assure you, that simple letter with the truth will do more for her than any flower, pie, or Hallmark card. What I've highlighted, is perfect.

Wow...that just so messed up! I agree with the silence.

Well, things are finally happening here! Tomorrow all of our stuff that was being shipped back to Canada from Germany arrives. Yay! I will have a bed again. ;)

Tomorrow, I will also meet with the chair of my program at the university in the hopes that I can get some extra transfer credit. I really, really don't want to have to take first year chemistry or introduction to nutrition again. :P He said in his email to me that I should get some more transfer credit, so I'm hoping!

Thankfully, my husband will be here tomorrow to meet the moving/unpacking people, so I can still meet with the chair.

Then next week I'll be having my practical evaluation to get re-certified to teach group fitness classes. I've been certified since 2001, but while we were in Germany my Canadian certification expired, so now I need to get re-certified. So I'm busy going through fitness music sites, since who knows where all my fitness music is amongst all our stuff! I'll buy, download, and burn to CD so I have something to teach to. :) I'm just "old" compared to your typical undergrad, so I don't know what music will appeal to them - in Germany I was teaching at a "regular" gym where the people were of all different ages - including a lot of people who were older than me. I guess sticking with top 40 stuff is pretty safe, even if I'd rather get the rock and classic rock mixes myself. ;) This is the mix I'm thinking of getting: http://www.cardiomixes.com/hitsremixed19.html

So the next little while will be busy! But it will be good to get all this stuff out of the way before school starts.

I agree with what some of the others have posted - if you can physically be there with her, then just be there. Let her know you are available if she wants to talk, or if she just wants to be with someone.

Orgo exam was excellent and the mortgage is through (broker sent a text at midnight ! :eek: )

It should be finalized today. The only immediate repair is replacing the washroom (it was built in 1950 and never renovated!) and the windows. We're thinking some nice bow windows for the front. Something pretty like this:

PRODPIC-132.jpg

I'm just going to visit this thread for the next few days. I'm tired of all the spamming and trolling everywhere else. And we've got too many unpleasant/aggressive members atm.

Hope Ryan and cnb88 got good scores!

Nice window. Lol.

Congrats on the mortgage coming through--wasn't that scary?! Ugh.

Archived