Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

Gah. I'm so indecisive! Do I take orgo II this fall or next summer. :confused:

On top of it, I'm ONE bloody course short (3 credits at U of A) to finish my second degree in three years, if I go through with finishing it. Of course, that's assuming I get into the dietetics program (nutrition major) after my first year of studies. Which means I need a high GPA not only for meds but also for dietetics, as the GPA to get into it is rising every year. And my GPA will be compared against those of all the first year students just taking all the intro courses, whereas I have two tough third year courses and two very tough second year courses this year. (I'm missing two of the pre-reqs for dietetics: cell biology and English, which is why I wasn't admitted directly to dietetics despite already having a degree, even though I essentially covered all the material covered in cell biology, just over a wide variety of courses.)

Of course, I could un-declare my minor (physical activity) and manage to finish in three years, if I stick with dietetics and get into it. Or keep my minor (which is truly of interest to me, as I teach fitness class and I'm a marathon runner) and be prepared to take courses next summer - and since I'm already taking one, then I could get orgo as well.

And, I need to come up with a different back-up plan, in case I don't manage to get the GPA required for meds or dietetics. I did well in my first degree, but that was a lot of mathematics-heavy engineering courses; the ones that brought down my GPA were my computer programming and electrical control theory courses (I've six Bs over the course of my transcript, all in computer- and electrical-heavy courses, the rest are all A-s to A+s). And I took orgo I and biochem I in the summer, when I was taking a lighter course load, so I had time to really focus and spend the time needed on memorization.

Sorry for going on and on here, I'm just trying to figure out my plan moving forward from here.

Wow, that's a pretty complex situation. I know how transfer credits can suck - I personally wish I had been given none so I could have actually done first year instead of prancing into second year at UofT.

1 exam down. 1 left to go. Come on summer vacation! Lol--yes, I know I'm late.

I'm in the same boat!!! I'm free on Tuesday. :D

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, that's a pretty complex situation. I know how transfer credits can suck - I personally wish I had been given none so I could have actually done first year instead of prancing into second year at UofT.

Good luck! :)

As for the transfer credits, I'm very happy I don't have to redo some of the basic first year courses that I got high grades in (ie. first semester chem, intro nutrition, one English course, and the like), but it does make course planning challenging, since not everything lines up nice and neat. Two of the courses for my program, that I actually have the pre-requisites for atm, are offered only in the Fall semester, and at exactly the same time, since most people would not be trying to take them at the same time like I am. ;)

Ah well, it will all get sorted. People who haven't paid their tuition deposit by the end of day today will start to get dropped out of their courses over the next couple of days. So some courses, that DO fit into my schedule, will hopefully have some spots open up.

Gah, why are all the professions I'm interested in so competitive to get into? :P

People who haven't paid their tuition deposit by the end of day today will start to get dropped out of their courses over the next couple of days. So some courses, that DO fit into my schedule, will hopefully have some spots open up.

Does this mean starting endof today, you need to constantly recheck online to try to get to the courses freed up before someone else grabs it?

Does this mean starting endof today, you need to constantly recheck online to try to get to the courses freed up before someone else grabs it?

Pretty much. I've signed up for alerts, so I will get an email message or a text on my cell phone if a spot opens up, but I obviously need to be by the computer to register quickly and try to get in before anyone else does! Fun, eh? ;)

Fortunately I still have plenty of unpacking to do here at home, so I will have my email alerts set to a high volume, and I'll turn up the volume on my cell, so that I can quickly run to the computer when I get a message!

Mine is finished on Wednesday--thankfully, I don't have to drive 5.5hrs this time!

Been there, done that! But no email alerts had to constantly check . The early bird gets the worm. :)

You have it under control and are well organized. GL! (hope you get to computer faster than the other 100 who got the same alert)

I'm so glad- my waitlists register me automatically- but I have been there done that.

I'm so old I remember when UBC had telereg, and you had to phone them, type in codes into the phone, be on hold forever. The internet barely existed.

:D

I'm trying to name my cat. She has a tail that is posessed by the devil, it seems, so I want to name her "tail" in another language. Anyone have suggestions? I think in Italian it is "Coda", which is a nice name, I think.

:D?

Coda would be a nice name. :) Tail in German would be "Schwanz" but it also has some rather "racy" slang meanings, so German speakers might think you named your cat something, well, not so nice. ;)

Coda would be a nice name. :) Tail in German would be "Schwanz" but it also has some rather "racy" slang meanings, so German speakers might think you named your cat something, well, not so nice. ;)

LOL- yes, I know a little german, but I didn't know the racy meanings!

The word "tail" can be a little racy in english too. :)

So I got a very favourable MCAT result!

PS - 13

VR - 10

BS - 12

For a 35Q!! I'm really happy since it was my first time and I didn't have a ton of time to prep for it. Don't understand my VR since I was getting 11-13 everytime, but who *really* wants to go to Mac anyways? Haha, anyways I'm thrilled overall - thanks to all around here who helped me out with it.

Wow! Congrats on the awesome score!!! (I know I'm a little late:o. Haven't been on here in awhile!) I ended up with a 32R- 9VR (dammit- went down 2 points from last time), 11 BS (up a point), and 12PS (:eek: 4 point improvement?! In my worst subject?! Awesome! haha). A pretty decent improvement from my 29Q the first time I wrote it. So mad about VR though. Ugh, I hope it'll be good enough, because I'd rather not rewrite it again....

Gah. I'm so indecisive! Do I take orgo II this fall or next summer.

Whenever you do take it, make sure you go with Cairo. Probably best orgo prof at the UofA. His exams are killer (the ones that aren't multiple choice anyways...35%average on our final! haha) but the class is curved anyways, so you don't have to worry. He explains stuff fairly well and interjects random interesting stuff into class (for example- one day he taught us how to make meth, and why meth labs generally explode... haha!). Really interesting, so you won't fall asleep in his class!

It's a bright, warm, sunny afternoon and I'm sitting in a public library studying.

SIGH

Study outside?:)

So I'm attempting to pack for my trip right now (going through everything making sure I have it all) and I think I've finished and everthing fits awesomely with tons of room left for whatever I may decide to bring back, but then I remember I still need to pack my laptop and the cookies my mom is baking for me to take along. I can't even pack up my computer right now because I'm updating my blackberry (which is taking like.... 2.5 hours now for some stupid reason >:-( ) and then I have to load the software for my new camera on it, AND THEN I can finish packing. On a similar note, my skates and skating stuff take up a lot of room in my checked suitcase.... I wish I could carry them on with me (because I NEED them... they can't get lost on the way!) but because the blade could be used as a weapon, I have to check them. The only person I've ever hurt with those things has been myself- and that's usually either been from falling, or grabbing my blade the wrong way:rolleyes:

I wish I knew why the stupid blackberry update is taking so long.....

Whenever you do take it, make sure you go with Cairo. Probably best orgo prof at the UofA. His exams are killer (the ones that aren't multiple choice anyways...35%average on our final! haha) but the class is curved anyways, so you don't have to worry. He explains stuff fairly well and interjects random interesting stuff into class (for example- one day he taught us how to make meth, and why meth labs generally explode... haha!). Really interesting, so you won't fall asleep in his class!

Thanks. Cairo's section is full, so I've put it on my watch list. I'm currently in Vederas' section, unless, of course, I drop it.

Good luck with all the packing and have a good trip. :)

I dislike facebook. I make a comment stating that I dislike that Nadal lost and then it turns into a political discussion about English vs. Scottish because I asked whether Murray is Scottish. Is there anything wrong in asking whether he is Scottish? :confused: I just never looked up Murray to see whether he is purely English or English/Scottish. :rolleyes:

I ended up with a 32R- 9VR (dammit- went down 2 points from last time), 11 BS (up a point), and 12PS (:eek: 4 point improvement?! In my worst subject?! Awesome! haha). A pretty decent improvement from my 29Q the first time I wrote it. So mad about VR though. Ugh, I hope it'll be good enough, because I'd rather not rewrite it again....

Congrats! 32R's quite high. Let's hope Queens doesn't go mad and ask for an S.

I dislike facebook. I make a comment stating that I dislike that Nadal lost and then it turns into a political discussion about English vs. Scottish because I asked whether Murray is Scottish. Is there anything wrong in asking whether he is Scottish? I just never looked up Murray to see whether he is purely English or English/Scottish.

So upset about Nadal losing!!!!! :( :( :( I was SO looking forward to a Nadal/Federer final!

So upset about Nadal losing!!!!! :( :( :( I was SO looking forward to a Nadal/Federer final!

I was upset too. But then I realized that a Djokovic vs. Murray match would be pretty fun to watch (even though Murray would probably dominate that match but they both like long rallies so... it would be anyone's game). So I started cheering for Djokovic for the first time in my life - not that I didn't want Federer to win, but I wanted to change up the scenery. Now that Federer won - well, let's face it, if he plays like this tomorrow, he will lose. Murray will kill him. If Murray's game is on, he will leave Federer in dust. Mentally, Federer is stronger. However, Murray played some incredible tennis today.

Nadal was there for Federer's match tonight. I'm hoping he'll be there tomorrow too.

Btw, is your username from that song "Don't Stop Believing"? I absolutely love that song. :o

Archived