Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

I remember when Roger Federer won the Wimbledon tourni for his record setting time, he actually stuck around for an hour to take pics with the tennis court staff like the ball throwers and runners (which is mostly students and youngsters). No other tennis player (IMO) is as humble and gracious as Roger.

I'm really glad he won the French Open last year, it's great to see him win the Grand Slam of Grand Slams :D

He truly is tennis' G.O.A.T.

---

And Djokovic is an okay player, sort of a jack of all trades kind of guy (i.e. not as good as Roger Federer, lol)

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember when Roger Federer won the Wimbledon tourni for his record setting time, he actually stuck around for an hour to take pics with the tennis court staff like the ball throwers and runners (which is mostly students and youngsters). No other tennis player (IMO) is as humble and gracious as Roger.

I'm really glad he won the French Open last year, it's great to see him win the Grand Slam of Grand Slams :D

He truly is tennis' G.O.A.T.

---

And Djokovic is an okay player, sort of a jack of all trades kind of guy (i.e. not as good as Roger Federer, lol)

Haha. I remember that as well. Also, when he interacts with his fans, he's really, really nice. The only other player that could start to be compared to Federer is, indeed, Nadal. Nadal is also very humble, very kind, shows true sportmanship and has some incredible skills on court. Whether he'll be as big as Federer, we will have to wait and see. I think (if I remember correctly) that Federer hit number 1 ranking when he was also 23 and then just kept on improving. Nadal is 23 and he hit the number 1 ranking. He'll probably keep on improving but the question is how much - he's already had some injuries. I don't remember Federer being out due to an injury when he was that young. I could be wrong though. I was a big fan of Agassi and Sampras. haha

Anyone have any experience with distance ed or online courses at universities other than Athabasca, Waterloo or Guelph?

I may need to pick up a couple of credits next summer and I'm wondering if there are other places I should be looking.

Thanks! :)

Thompson Rivers. I didn't like it as much as Ath because the exams were scheduled for you. Kind of annoying.

I am currently trying to take courses through UBC, but they gave me a registration date that was so late, everything had filled up. Everything. And I'm a former student!

I'm on waitlists for ENGL courses. I really really hope I can get in.

So, today I updated my MacBook to a MacBook Pro. Very exciting, but I somehow get attached to my electronics. The guy in Future Shop punched the screen of the model to show me how durable it was, kind of a cool selling tactic.

My HP Mini is technologically awesome. This cute little thing works so well and is surprisingly sturdy.

The midnight crossing doesn't have any cabins left--just berths, so we're taking the 3am. I would prefer to leave when the sun comes up so we can take one last beautiful drive along this coast, but the ferry ride is too long. This also lets me take my pets on since we have a cabin.

Good plan to get the cabin since it lets you bring your pets. :) Our cats were in the cabin with us on our flight from Munich to Canada (since we were moving they HAD to come with us) and I would not have been at all comfortable if they had had to fly in the cargo hold, especially since they are Sphynx (hairless) and so are a lot more sensitive to temperature than "regular" furred cats.

So, today I updated my MacBook to a MacBook Pro. Very exciting, but I somehow get attached to my electronics. The guy in Future Shop punched the screen of the model to show me how durable it was, kind of a cool selling tactic.

Very cool. :D I'm planning on getting a MBP before school starts, so it is nice to hear additional good things about them. :)

Good plan to get the cabin since it lets you bring your pets. :) Our cats were in the cabin with us on our flight from Munich to Canada (since we were moving they HAD to come with us) and I would not have been at all comfortable if they had had to fly in the cargo hold, especially since they are Sphynx (hairless) and so are a lot more sensitive to temperature than "regular" furred cats.

Very cool. :D I'm planning on getting a MBP before school starts, so it is nice to hear additional good things about them. :)

If not, I'd have to leave them in the car at the bottom of the ship with the windows down a crack. Guinea pigs are supposed to be kept at room temperature (lol, that sounds funny).

bah a 2 hour match went from 1:30 to 6.....stupid rain delays! Still a good match though :) Although Federer wasn't playing nearly as well as he's capable of :(

PS...guess what song started playing as Murray did his championship walk around the stadium? :P

Hint:

Living in a looonnnneellly world!

She took the midnight train goin' anywhereeeeee

Now we just need that city boy to reply to this post :P

bah a 2 hour match went from 1:30 to 6.....stupid rain delays! Still a good match though :) Although Federer wasn't playing nearly as well as he's capable of :(

PS...guess what song started playing as Murray did his championship walk around the stadium? :P

Hint:

OMG... No freakin' way. I've got to find that on youtube. I know someone who will appreciate it. lol.

Eidt: Now I have it stuck in my head. Ugh.

Caylynn, any spots open up? :P

Or is it too early still?

Nothing yet. :( The ONE course that had a spot open up, I was hanging up laundry and must have just missed it, as I ran to my laptop when I heard the notification but the spot had already been filled.

I'm certainly grateful for the added transfer credit I've been given, but getting it this late has sure made making a timetable a bit of a pain!

If nothing opens up, I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can do a letter of permission course via distance ed. If I'm reading the calendar correctly I only need to do 30 credits (out of the 54 I need for my second degree) at U of A itself, so a couple of courses elsewhere, as a visiting student, should be okay.

Nothing yet. :( The ONE course that had a spot open up, I was hanging up laundry and must have just missed it, as I ran to my laptop when I heard the notification but the spot had already been filled.

I'm certainly grateful for the added transfer credit I've been given, but getting it this late has sure made making a timetable a bit of a pain!

If nothing opens up, I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can do a letter of permission course via distance ed. If I'm reading the calendar correctly I only need to do 30 credits (out of the 54 I need for my second degree) at U of A itself, so a couple of courses elsewhere, as a visiting student, should be okay.

The early bird gets the worm! :) There is still time and once courses start, there will be more students dropping.

I will stay tuned. :P

The early bird gets the worm! There is still time and once courses start, there will be more students dropping.

I will stay tuned.

Yep, I will be eagerly awaiting the add/drop course deadline. ;)

I'm also probably going to either shock or amuse my undergraduate students' office - I have a stack of letter of permission forms filled out. ;) I only need one course, but I have no idea which one they'll approve, so I've added a nice cover letter indicating such, and then I have forms for:

Organic Chem II - Athabasca

Human Genetics - Athabasca

Food Chemistry - Guelph

Fitness and Wellness - MUN

Social Psychology of Sport, Physical Activity and Recreation - MUN

:D

So we'll see what happens! In an ideal world, I think I'd like to do Orgo next summer (I can do the labs right here in Edmonton) or the Food Chemistry (since I've only heard bad things about the food chem prof at U of A and the course conflicts with another course I need for my program).

I've also done distance ed courses at both Guelph and Athabasca before, so I know what to expect (and three of my Guelph courses were done via the distance ed route as part of my regular semester course load during my first degree, so I've done a mix of "regular" and distance ed during a normal semester and know what to expect).

You are both flexible and creative. :)

And fully prepared! :P

I amsure Caylynn, they have never encoutered such a thoroughly prepared student as you, if necessary, do to the top. I have found those at the top of the food chain are attentive, will listen and they seek to accommodate the student in their desire to aquire knowledge, sometimes by unconventional means.

Enjoy the journey and the education. :)

Archived