Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

Any premed runners have experience with blisters?

I've been trying to get up to a decent half-marathon time and every time I hit about 12km the skin on my feet decides to call it a day and leave. I've tried new shoes and body glide and neither have helped. This also seems to happen regardless of my pace.

I'm thinking I'll just run a couple 12km's per week and run through em each time. My question is will they eventually become tougher and stop blistering so much? Or should I try another approach?

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been trying to get up to a decent half-marathon time and every time I hit about 12km the skin on my feet decides to call it a day and leave. I've tried new shoes and body glide and neither have helped. This also seems to happen regardless of my pace.

I'm thinking I'll just run a couple 12km's per week and run through em each time. My question is will they eventually become tougher and stop blistering so much? Or should I try another approach?

I'm not a runner, but as a skater I've had my fair share of blisters, so I might be able to help a little....

First question though- have you tried different types of socks? I find if my socks get too sweaty (either from skating or just running/walking in general) that I start to get blisters. Maybe try socks that allow for more "breathing room" for your feet. Another way to test this would to be take extra socks with you and change them every 8k or so and see if that helps (obviously not ideal, but if you try that and you don't get blisters, it's because of damp socks).

To heal the blisters faster, polysporin and second skin (with a bandaid over top) works magic. Especially if the blister has broken. Usually (in my experience anyways) once the blister is able to fully heal, you won't get them anymore in that spot. The polysporin/second skin combo is great too because it adds some extra lubrication (and thus less rubbing (please no "that's what she said":p)) so it won't get worse and you can keep training.

Eventually you won't get blisters anymore (once the skin "toughens up") you just have to wait for that point.

Not sure where you're getting the blisters, but depending on where you have them, it might be worthwhile to head to a skate shop and get some "gel socks" (really just the ankle part of the sock). Because one side is gel, it decreases the rubbing/friction where there is excess pressure (which is why it works wonders for skates). Only problem is, they're quite expensive- $30 for one. It also might feel weird if you slid it down onto your foot (instead of the ankle where they usually go) if that's where you have blisters.

Hope that helped at least a little bit!

Not sure where you're getting the blisters, but depending on where you have them, it might be worthwhile to head to a skate shop and get some "gel socks" (really just the ankle part of the sock). Because one side is gel, it decreases the rubbing/friction where there is excess pressure (which is why it works wonders for skates). Only problem is, they're quite expensive- $30 for one. It also might feel weird if you slid it down onto your foot (instead of the ankle where they usually go) if that's where you have blisters.

Hope that helped at least a little bit!

Gel socks = lifesaver lol

They're PERFECT for preventing blisters.

On another note....as I'm packing up my stuff......I can't believe the number of figure skating pictures/posters I have!

OK- my turn. 5-yr running coach, personal trainer, ultrarunner here.:)

Socks are a likely culprit- you aren't wearing cotton, are you? Some people like the double-layer socks. You CANNOT wear cotton socks. Cotton gets wet and stays wet. Then it rubs.

Bodyglide will just wear off really fast on feet. No good.

Which shoes are you in? Brand/model.

Some people just need time to build up their foot toughness. How long have you been running for?

I'd have to agree with Kyla- having run a couple half marathons and gone through the training for a few years I would have to say that the most likely culprit would be socks... I wore cotton socks for years and didn't have any problems, but not everybody is as lucky- my fiancee would get the same blister week after week, but as soon as she switched to running socks the blister disappeared. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the lulu running sock- it's like 14 bucks and it has indicators to tell you which sock goes on which foot. Pure genius!

Of course, the shoes and your experience with running could be issues as well. If the shoes are a problem you may be able to exchange them at the store you purchased them at- the runners den that I shop at is pretty open to exchanges, but I know other places may not accept shoes that have been worn outside.

Good luck with the blisters and update if you find a solution!

I'd have to agree with Kyla- having run a couple half marathons and gone through the training for a few years I would have to say that the most likely culprit would be socks... I wore cotton socks for years and didn't have any problems, but not everybody is as lucky- my fiancee would get the same blister week after week, but as soon as she switched to running socks the blister disappeared. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the lulu running sock- it's like 14 bucks and it has indicators to tell you which sock goes on which foot. Pure genius!

Of course, the shoes and your experience with running could be issues as well. If the shoes are a problem you may be able to exchange them at the store you purchased them at- the runners den that I shop at is pretty open to exchanges, but I know other places may not accept shoes that have been worn outside.

Good luck with the blisters and update if you find a solution!

Runner's den is sweet- now I know where you live... :stalker:

When I worked at the running room I used to tell people that althought the tech socks were expensive, they were great insurance. You need 3 pairs- 1 in the laundry, 1 on your feet, 1 in your clean clothes drawer.

I NEED to try the lulu socks but I am trying really hard not to buy things. I keep telling myself that every thing I buy will have to be moved when I go to school in a year. The opportunity cost of having to move stuff is just too high. :)

Runner's den is sweet- now I know where you live... :stalker:

When I worked at the running room I used to tell people that althought the tech socks were expensive, they were great insurance. You need 3 pairs- 1 in the laundry, 1 on your feet, 1 in your clean clothes drawer.

I NEED to try the lulu socks but I am trying really hard not to buy things. I keep telling myself that every thing I buy will have to be moved when I go to school in a year. The opportunity cost of having to move stuff is just too high. :)

Kyla,

I used to despise the idea of buying a tech sock... that was until I actually wore them- probably one of the best investments I've made in running and athletic gear. I ran 24k the other day after a 7.5 hour ball marathon and my feet were fantastic afterwards... my ankle on the other hand was not...

If you have a birthday or special event (it is friday tomorrow) coming up- buy those lulu socks... you will not be disappointed.

Thanks cnb88, small_town_girl, kylamonkey and hking03 for the detailed responses!

To answer some of the questions: I've been running for years but have only recently (3-4 months?) ventured out of the 5-10k range and into the greater distances.

YES my socks are cotton :( as many of you have guessed SO those puppies will be the first to go. I'll check out the running stores and maybe lulu too.

My shoes are NB 1225. I had the owner of the Running Room in London examine my stance/stride and he recommended NB stability shoes.

Dude, it's your socks. COTTON KILLS.

OK- so cotton soaks up the water from your foot sweat. Cotton gets wet and stays wet, and when fabric is wet it chafes. You will find it starts to chafe in other areas too.

I haven't been working in sports retail for a few years, but I know they still sell the double layer Wright socks. They'll prob be about 10-12$ per pair. Buy one pair to start, if they work, buy 2 more. If not, try a different type.

No cotton socks!! :)

And it was prob the store manager- the owner is John Stanton and he's in Edmonton.

I will stop talking about running room now because I don't want to say anything ... else.

Those shoes are what used to be called the 715 series, they're pretty good. They are low stability, so you probably don't pronate very much. Or you are light weight. I'm glad you've had someone examine your biomechanics!

...seriously...Nadal and Federer!! When was the last time saw one of their epic matches??!!

I've been in the tennis world since the tender age of 3. While I look up to big ass names, such as Federer, Sampras, Seles, Ivanisevic, McEnroe, etc. (just to name a few), in the past 5 years, I have indulged in the "underdog" tennis and I would much rather watch matches of the up and coming players. I like to see players improve their game and track their progression. Federer has reached his peak. Nadal is getting there slowly but surely. But look at for example Soderling - he beat Dent today and he played absolutely fabulous! Or Tsonga a couple of years ago - huge upset to big names! Or Tipsarevic yesterday with Rodd.ick!!! It's just so beautiful to see.

I'm telling you - I've been around the tennis world for quite a bit now (19 years!) As much as I love Federer and Nadal and respect them.... I LOVE seeing new players put up a decent match. And those are my targets right now.

OK- my turn. 5-yr running coach, personal trainer, ultrarunner here.:)

Socks are a likely culprit- you aren't wearing cotton, are you? Some people like the double-layer socks. You CANNOT wear cotton socks. Cotton gets wet and stays wet. Then it rubs.

Bodyglide will just wear off really fast on feet. No good.

Which shoes are you in? Brand/model.

Some people just need time to build up their foot toughness. How long have you been running for?

Question: Have you tried these shoes for running?

Hey leap,

I haven't tried the fivefingers myself but I've done quite a bit of research on them. They are a shoe that you have to work into. If you do not have the right mechanics for barefoot style running you run the risk of injury. If you do try them, you should start small and work up to longer distances.

I'm thinking about getting a pair for the gym.

Oh, and it is a good idea to get the fivefinger socks to minimize the blister factor.

Hey leap,

I haven't tried the fivefingers myself but I've done quite a bit of research on them. They are a shoe that you have to work into. If you do not have the right mechanics for barefoot style running you run the risk of injury. If you do try them, you should start small and work up to longer distances.

I'm thinking about getting a pair for the gym.

Oh, and it is a good idea to get the fivefinger socks to minimize the blister factor.

Hey... Yeah, we did a bit of research on barefoot running and preliminary results showed that barefoot running actually decreases the amount of force applied to the joint (about 12% less force), which ultimately means that running in shoes may not be as beneficial as thought and that running barefooted actually protects your joints. Obviously, you have to get used to it and you will adopt a different way/style of running - more impact on the balls of your foot, and almost eliminating the heel strike. :)

I'm really thinking of getting them.

Hi internet pplz. I feel like I'm turning into Jochi 2.0. Barely on and whenever I'm here I just post about my life and ignore everybody else. :o

(no offence, Jochi, if you still read this thread, or if you ninja PM all your pm101 buddies still or whatever)

You can still be buzzed ;)

Hey... Yeah, we did a bit of research on barefoot running and preliminary results showed that barefoot running actually decreases the amount of force applied to the joint (about 12% less force), which ultimately means that running in shoes may not be as beneficial as thought and that running barefooted actually protects your joints. Obviously, you have to get used to it and you will adopt a different way/style of running - more impact on the balls of your foot, and almost eliminating the heel strike. :)

I'm really thinking of getting them.

Yes, I have a pair.

I also ran a marathon in bare feet 6.5 yrs ago.

I like them, but a barefoot style of running is a totally different way of running.

I can write more but I need to take the doggie for a walk/roll now. :D

Archived