Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

yah, I get what you're saying Leap. I've learned that there is a top-down component to reflexes as well. This was demonstrated to us in a physiology lab. If you tell someone to interlock their hands and pull as hard as they can (just makes them concentrate hard) and hit their knee with a hammer, they have less of a reflex response than a resting subject.

I thought you were arguing that they were totally voluntary. I found this confusing, haha. Now I get it.

really?

because i use the hand interlocking method to enhance reflexes. i find if people are just sitting there waiting for the reflex to happen, i get less of a response. but if i distract them by say - making them focus on interlocking their hands - they dont focus on the fact that im going to tap their knee with a hammer and it enhances the response.

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
really?

because i use the hand interlocking method to enhance reflexes. i find if people are just sitting there waiting for the reflex to happen, i get less of a response. but if i distract them by say - making them focus on interlocking their hands - they dont focus on the fact that im going to tap their knee with a hammer and it enhances the response.

I don't know what he's talking about either. The hand interlocking method is to enhance or produce reflexes that are otherwise diminished or absent.

Ouch! Oh the life of a premed!!!

I think my life would be more or less the same regardless of whether I was aiming for meds or not actually (with the exception of not taking courses like English and other prerequs). It would probably be way less stressful though, since I wouldn't have to continuously worry about ensuring that no mark drops below 80

really?

I don't know what he's talking about either. The hand interlocking method is to enhance or produce reflexes that are otherwise diminished or absent.

yah, I get what you're saying Leap. I've learned that there is a top-down component to reflexes as well. This was demonstrated to us in a physiology lab. If you tell someone to interlock their hands and pull as hard as they can (just makes them concentrate hard) and hit their knee with a hammer, they have less of a reflex response than a resting subject.

I thought you were arguing that they were totally voluntary. I found this confusing, haha. Now I get it.

Yeah. That makes sense and I've learned that in my motor control lab. But what he was talking about yesterday (and I tried to follow but was not successful at it because it was confusing as hell) was that we can manipulate reflexes to have more of a or less of a response. This especially applies to more complex reflexes (I'm not talking about the simplest one). However, before I say anything here, I might as well read the journal articles he provided and do a bit of research on the topic.

Either way the stretch reflex is blocked every time we do a heel strike by our CNS (presynaptically blocked). Meh. I've got to read those journal articles before I start a debate.

Mike, this shyte is confusing me because I studied the same thing you were saying in your previous post until he broke it down for me that that is not the case and then given me journal articles. I would argue with him, but I can't until I read these. lol.

I feel relieved...I just hope it sinks in his head soon enough that I actually want a divorce.

Cnussey, many provinces have a subsidized mediation procedure that is relatively friendly provided niether side decides to play nasty gaes at the last second to obtain an advantage using a power play. This is the simplest and best methos for the marriage parents and children.

Often, divorce lawyers like to use confrontation and play their own gaes, which ust aggrevates a difficult situation further. A cooperative divorce can work well. As you are a student, you prob can obtain some legal aid advice to explore your options. And then, there may be a further complication should you want to return home to your support system where the children were brought up. I know, you guys recently bought a home and this will factor in too.

Then in a separation/divorce situation, that is the best possible situation for the children to be able to see both parents often, and for both parents, so a potential source of tremendous conflict does not exist. I guess it comes down to physical access to the children, legal (probably 'joint) custody of children, who lives where and financails, for which the government has a set formula in regard to support based upon income. Of course, it is a tremendous emotional blow for all and it is not easy to set a new path in life as a single person. I wish you well in this difficult time that will pass with time.

So my friend just had her Ph.D. defense. How come I sat through app. 3 hours of her defense and understood EVERYTHING and knew answers to most of the questions the committee asked vs. yesterday when I was stomped by that horrific lecture on reflexes?! :confused: I'm so confused. Grad school is making out of me one very lost and confused individual.

No, no,the govt has nothing to do with custody but has everything to do with maintenance of the non-working/less earning spouse and mainteneance to the spouse and for children. There is a formula that is set and there need not be negotiation, unless payments will be higher than required by law. Also there is a formula for division of RRSP, pension benefits, etc. and you have an entitlement for these items.

No, no,the govt has nothing to do with custody but has everything to do with maintenance of the non-working/less earning spouse and mainteneance to the spouse and for children. There is a formula that is set and there need not be negotiation, unless payments will be higher than required by law. Also there is a formula for division of RRSP, pension benefits, etc. and you have an entitlement for these items.

That's what the lawyer is for. We draw up the agreement, he checks it over, we submit it and may not even have to see a judge.

Yes absolutely, but you need to know what are your legal entitlements in terms of support for yourself and the children, your rights to have his RRSP and accrued pension benefits, how ro keep the kids on his health plan, etc. So, the lawyer either needs to informk you before any potential agreement or you van go in blind and give it all away b/c you dont know your entitements upfront. And who lives in the home, his responsibility for mortgage, etc., as rule you are entitled to 50% of the equity in the home.

So, essentially, to do the Agreekent, you need guidance as to your rights and entitlements first on a range of issues, incl children and financials. Onlt then can you negotiate an agreement that is fair and reasonable. And as his income increases, your support payments increase, this s/b clear. It ssort of like applying to med school, there is a protocol to go about it the right way. And then perhaps he who can afford it makes a regular contribution to a college funds, etc. Devil is always in the details.

I don't know if you guys realize this but 2 people from mac meds 2013 died in a car crash on Saturday. One of them (nemesis) I've talked to a lot and met IRL. When I first heard the news yesterday I thought it was a prank but sadly its not. I'm sure the rest of macmeds'13 will miss them as will I. Had I gone to mac I could've been with them in that car too!

On a side note, this is the second year in a row that I lost friends to high speed car crashes. :(

I don't know if you guys realize this but 2 people from mac meds 2013 died in a car crash on Saturday. One of them (nemesis) I've talked to a lot and met IRL. When I first heard the news yesterday I thought it was a prank but sadly its not. I'm sure the rest of macmeds'13 will miss them as will I. Had I gone to mac I could've been with them in that car too!

On a side note, this is the second year in a row that I lost friends to high speed car crashes. :(

Oh my God. I'm literally blown away. I recall Nemesis waiting for the replies from the schools in May, the purple sig and all. :( :( :(

May they both rest in peace.

Dee, do you want to start a separate thread on this?

OMG. I'm speechless. :( Holy crap. I'm getting chills all over. :(

Yes absolutely, but you need to know what are your legal entitlements in terms of support for yourself and the children, your rights to have his RRSP and accrued pension benefits, how ro keep the kids on his health plan, etc. So, the lawyer either needs to informk you before any potential agreement or you van go in blind and give it all away b/c you dont know your entitements upfront. And who lives in the home, his responsibility for mortgage, etc., as rule you are entitled to 50% of the equity in the home.

So, essentially, to do the Agreekent, you need guidance as to your rights and entitlements first on a range of issues, incl children and financials. Onlt then can you negotiate an agreement that is fair and reasonable. And as his income increases, your support payments increase, this s/b clear. It ssort of like applying to med school, there is a protocol to go about it the right way. And then perhaps he who can afford it makes a regular contribution to a college funds, etc. Devil is always in the details.

The lawyer has an obligation to inform both sides of their rights.

I'm in shock right now. It's hard to bellieve and such sad news.

Deeman, stop speeding like crazy!!! For your own sake.

For your sake, for ours, your family and society. We are seeing just how tenuous our grasp on life can be, and we should not push limits. Seriously!

this is the second year in a row that I lost friends to high speed car crashes. :(

The lawyer has an obligation to inform both sides of their rights.

That is good to know.

So, the lawyer informs them of their respective rights and obligations, then they hammer out an Agreement that he reviews to ensure there are no gorss errors and that it complies with the law and they proceed to have the Agreement made an Order of the Court, I assume.

Archived