Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...I wonder how many pm101 gunners I will be teaching? hahaha

You've just given yourself away, lol. Now they will come blackmailing you using ur past posts

and congrats on the TA pos. Pay is wicked. Here it's 36 an hr, I think and they're trying to raise it!

I got offered a TA job next semester! Pays 1900/month for 12 hours/week. I currently make 1700$/month for 40 hours of research so this is amazing. It's an undergraduate Bachelor of Health Sciences Statistics course.

...I wonder how many pm101 gunners I will be teaching? hahaha

You can teach me "statistics" anytime :)

Unortunately, people don't like becoming involved unless violence is toward a loved one. People don't want to risk physical inury to themselves. Thank goodness for the exceptions who are out there but rare.

sometimes for good reason, people often react more strongly to someone stepping in. a few months ago i helped one a friend who got hit by some guy in the street. three of his friends jumped in and i ended up with 12 stitches and an eye swelled shut for a week. having said that, i would still help someone(even a stranger) if a similar situation ever arises again, but I understand why people are hesistant. i also don't think people who are willing to help are rare, just they don't know when they should help.

sometimes for good reason, people often react more strongly to someone stepping in. a few months ago i helped one a friend who got hit by some guy in the street. three of his friends jumped in and i ended up with 12 stitches and an eye swelled shut for a week. having said that, i would still help someone(even a stranger) if a similar situation ever arises again, but I understand why people are hesistant. i also don't think people who are willing to help are rare, just they don't know when they should help.

The bystander effect is pretty strong. It takes one person to break it before everyone is willing to jump in. Its funny how it backfired in your situation. Like thats the first time I even thought the bystander effect could've been a good thing. :rolleyes:

It sucks what happened to you but its one of the reasons I believe people should know how to handle themselves. Its cool and all being model citizens of society but that only works here, in our (mostly) cozy, safe little society of the world.

^"handle themselves" doesn't necessarily mean know how to fight. I've never gotten into a fight since I was 12. Which considering where I grew up and the schools I've been to is pretty awesome. All because no one doubts that IF things go south I'm more than ready to throw down! :cool:

hehehe does this signature help?

Sorry didn't realize I was an imposter :) the numbers at the end of my username are always at the end of all my usernames b/c 33 is my favourite number so I didn't even think to check to make sure it was original. I am changing my username so you can revert back to your old signature. Sorry about this!

Sorry didn't realize I was an imposter :) the numbers at the end of my username are always at the end of all my usernames b/c 33 is my favourite number so I didn't even think to check to make sure it was original. I am changing my username so you can revert back to your old signature. Sorry about this!

K username changed

Thanks!! It is what my family calls me. My real name is Sara but my parents have always called me Cerena. Could be because they are Portuguese lol :)

It is a really pretty name haha

Honestly the only reason I chose small_town_girl was because I was listening to "Don't Stop Believing" when I was creating my account hahahaha...thanks for changing your name though!! Hopefully there won't be much confusion now haha...(haha I have a few friends that know my username on these forums that were like "huh? I didn't know you applied to UBC")

The bystander effect is pretty strong. It takes one person to break it before everyone is willing to jump in. Its funny how it backfired in your situation. Like thats the first time I even thought the bystander effect could've been a good thing. :rolleyes:

It sucks what happened to you but its one of the reasons I believe people should know how to handle themselves. Its cool and all being model citizens of society but that only works here, in our (mostly) cozy, safe little society of the world.

^"handle themselves" doesn't necessarily mean know how to fight. I've never gotten into a fight since I was 12. Which considering where I grew up and the schools I've been to is pretty awesome. All because no one doubts that IF things go south I'm more than ready to throw down! :cool:

yea before that i hadn't gotten into a fight since like grade 8, helps if people think you're badass lol. i can handle myself pretty well just 3 on 1 makes it kind of hard to get out unscathed lol. i think the bystander effect is largely a result of people being uncertain, i've even heard of other lifeguards suffering from the bystander effect.

It is a really pretty name haha

Honestly the only reason I chose small_town_girl was because I was listening to "Don't Stop Believing" when I was creating my account hahahaha...thanks for changing your name though!! Hopefully there won't be much confusion now haha...(haha I have a few friends that know my username on these forums that were like "huh? I didn't know you applied to UBC")

Haha and I had that username because I am a gleek! Haha and sorry about the confusion! Should be all good now

yea before that i hadn't gotten into a fight since like grade 8, helps if people think you're badass lol. i can handle myself pretty well just 3 on 1 makes it kind of hard to get out unscathed lol. i think the bystander effect is largely a result of people being uncertain, i've even heard of other lifeguards suffering from the bystander effect.

Yea I hear ya. Back in HS my friend got jumped once by like 10 guys when I was with him (they were after him specifically....mostly cause he runs his mouth too much) and I couldn't really help him. lol. Its either he gets beat up or we both get beat up and I now have problems with people that I don't really want anything to do with. :rolleyes:

Re: The bystander effect

A friend of my Dad's who is in his late 30's now was walking in downtown Prince George one night back to his hotel with his fiance and noticed several guys in an alley beating on some lady.

He jumped in and attempted to get them to stop and immediately they turned on him and absolutely kicked the crap out of him and his fiance. They both ended up in hospital and suffered pretty significant, but not long-term, injuries.

I used to try to break up bar fights myself if it happened near me until I got hit myself several times because of it. Now I realize that the people involved in stuff like that frequently do for one reason or another (i.e. drugs, gangs, enjoy fighting) and the risk simply isn't worth getting involved.

I certainly can understand why it (bystander effect) exists and I'd propse that it's not really adviseable or safe to be jumping into those kinds of situations anyways. That being said, I still will call for help (if warranted) and like to believe I would jump in if it was an extreme situation (i.e. the girl in the alley situation above - regardless of the consequences).

Good luck to everyone who has exams tomorrow!

P.S. I keep getting emails from podiatric medical schools in the U.S. Why?! I don't have an MD and I never indicated anywhere that I wanted to apply to this type of school. It is so strange! And I strongly dislike feet! Has this happened to anyone else?

P.S. I keep getting emails from podiatric medical schools in the U.S. Why?! I don't have an MD and I never indicated anywhere that I wanted to apply to this type of school. It is so strange! And I strongly dislike feet! Has this happened to anyone else?

Yeah, I've gotten a few emails from different US Schools of Podiatric Medicine... I believe that it stems from the MCAT... but I could be wrong. I don't believe you need an MD to practice as it is like an alternative to MD/DO programs, but deals mainly with foot/ankle/leg issues. Apparently, you either see an orthopedist or podiatrist for foot/ankle problems...

Archived