Premed 101 Forums

please help ASAP,,

Hello every one,

I was told by e radiology resident who was in the committee for the 2009 class. She suggested that I should not do all my 10 electives in radiology.. So I would really appreciate your input regarding following questions

1. Would doing internal, derm and optho elective hinders my application for radiology.. I would love to do a few weeks in derm and optho since I have not done any of this rotation during my clerkship

2. Which radiology programs ask prefer people who have doe elective in their sites.

3. So if I stick to do all my rotation in radiology, ami taking a big risk?

I feel planning for match is like a game that you have no control over it..

Thank you all

Sarak Kj,

Meds 2010, U of O

The only risk I see it being is if you go unmatched and apply to a different field all together.

Everyone has their own "strategy" and thoughts as to why they got into their residency program so you're likely to hear different things depending on who you talk to.

I'd suggest doing radiology electives in a variety of different sub-specialties of radiology if you can. To me, it shows you're interested in the field and it also helps you with the social networking thing when it comes time for interviews. It would be hard to get decent face time with the radiology residents/staff at a program if you're doing derm.

This is assuming you're 100% sure you want rads.

Good luck!

If you set up all your electives in radiology, then you just have to realize that it will be hard to back up with anything. So you have to be ok with that. (there isn't anything wrong with that really...especially if you are flexible and can apply accross the country and are willing to move, but if you can only apply to a handful of schools, then that just becomes a bit riskier).

If you decide to do pre-carms electives in something other than radiology, I would pick a radiology heavy specialty, like ortho, or neuro/neurosurg etc.

You can do derm or something like that during your post-carms electives.

As for the schools that require an elective at their school...you can get this from word of mouth, and also check the carms site. If it says something along the lines of...an on site elective is recommended etc, and if they even go to the effort of posting the email of the elective coordinator, then you can assume that it is required.

But it is definitely worthwhile doing an elective at your top choices.

Hello all,

Thank you for the word of advice. Greatly appreciated. I guess i was in a panic mood after speaking with that resident. I guess i will stick to my old plan and do radiology elective preCarms to get to know different programs cross Ontario.

can't wait for this long nightmare to be over.

Sara Kj

I would also suggest you think about broadening your elective experiences as well. I know one radiology program that explicitly states they want students to have a variety of electives.

Just speaking from personal experience as a rads applicant this CaRMS cycle I found that doing a variety of electives helped my application more than it hurt it. I second the advice though to do electives in places you really want to go (maybe your top 3?), especially in some of the Ontario schools (Queen's, Western, Ottawa) where interviews were harder to come by if you didn't do an elective there.

It's a bit of a balancing act for sure.

Hope that helps

-a

Archived