Premed 101 Forums

Please help.. STILL CONFUSED?!

Guest hannahsahib

My grades were very poor in Cegep in Quebec. I certainly did not have the appearance of a potential med student. At university, I gained or changed my focus, my highest priority are my studies and I need to work incredibly hard for my every accomplishment. I am not one of those students who absorbs quickly and does well on auto-pilot. I am a consistent A student, on the Dean's List each year and have tested my aptitude, interest and ability to cope with patients with lots of volunteering (15+ hours plus per week) and having built up being able to take interning courses in health science. I also take courses that I love, which is key to my success.

And at UT, after 3 years of undergrad work, they will remove your lowest 6 grades in calculating your cGPA for their acceptance purposes. Get volunteering experience and don't forget ECs to be a well rounded applicant.

What would happen if:

First year: 2.1

Second year: 3.8

Third year: 3.8

Apply in fourth year to begin in the fall after your degree, then

Fourth year: 3.8

Assume you are able to swing an interview.

When they are taking the final info into account, will they count your fourth year?

Guest hannahsahib
Given that they don't know your final GPA in your final year pre and post interview, I don't believe they will drop that year.

yea i was wondering the same thing

So you are saying that you dont beleive that they will drop the first year???

So the only way they would drop it is if i took a year off after my fourth year and applied then?

yes, if you apply at beginning of year 4, your lowest year WILL NOT be dropped. only if you apply after degree completion.

Is that something that has changed? Because when I applied (2 years ago), if we were in our 4th year, our lowest year was still dropped.

Guest hannahsahib
Is that something that has changed? Because when I applied (2 years ago), if we were in our 4th year, our lowest year was still dropped.

so they only took into consideration 2 years?

You got in right?:)

Yes. I applied this year (my 4th year). I asked the UGME and they said that I was considered a four year applicant (i.e. I would have 4 years of education before the potential start date) so they dropped my lowest year in the GPA calculation. So, essentially yes only 2nd and 3rd years were counted.

That is very pleasant news, I am also a 2009 grad and kicked GPA @$$ this year. I'm glad that will count.

They don't count your most recent year though. I did the best I have ever done this year, but it does not count towards my application for entry for September 2009.

They don't count your most recent year though. I did the best I have ever done this year, but it does not count towards my application for entry for September 2009.

heh, i thought this year wouldn't count, so didnt do "as well" as previous years, though still satisfied :rolleyes:

I am just happy that UofA considers everything towards acceptance, as opposed to making interview a big chunk

Archived