Premed 101 Forums

Reasons for Astronomical Tuition...

Guest Spencer

Guest Spencer

In a heated debate with my parents last nite who urged me to attend UofT for medicine, I emphasized to them that UofT charges astronomical amounts for tuition in comparison to most other med schools...the reason for that i don't know...hopefully u UofTers can answer why the faculty of med at your particular school charges so much...thx :D

Guest peachy

U of T does indeed charge a lot and it sucks. :)

But I personally wouldn't describe it as "astronomical" compared to the other Ontario schools. From the "tuition comparison" thread, tuition at the Ontario schools is as follows:

Ottawa: 14500

Queen's: 13500

U of T: 16200

UWO: 14500

McMaster: 14400

U of T is the most, by a couple thousand dollars. Which school is actually going to be most expensive to attend is going to depend on a lot of things - tuition is only one of those. Every school gives substantial bursary support. The cost of living is different in different cities. When all is said and done, my guess is that U of T probably is the most expensive school to attend, but I don't think it's because we have "astonomical tuition" relative to Ontario schools as a group.

Also, tuition for medical schools was deregulated fairly recently (I'm not sure exactly when), and has been changing rapidly. Things will probably look quite different by the time you are ready to apply to medical school.

I have to say that I find it really weird that you would have a heated debate with your parents about where to attend medical school, when you are still in high school. In three or four years, maybe you'll find that you want to follow another career path. And if you don't, tuitions are sure to be completely different then, there will be a new medical school in Ontario, and you will have learned a lot more about yourself, about how you learn, and about what kind of city you want to live in.

And even if, in four years, you feel exactly as you do now, you will still have to apply to a number of medical schools, because almost nobody can guarantee acceptance to a particular school in Ontario. I'd save the heated debates for several years from now, in the situation where you actually have multiple acceptances in hand...

Guest Spencer

I agree that I was a bit exaggerated with regards to using ASTRONOMICAL as an adjective...I did check out the OMSAS site after writing that message to discover that UofT only charges a several thousand more...but I meant in a Canadian context...perhaps to Quebec...at McGill, you pay a whole lot less...

Anywho...being as it is that I come from a family that is very "education-oriented"...my parents are your stereotypical education-freaks...they really want me to become a doctor...frankly i am very interested in a career in medicine as well...and UofT is my first choice (for now)...i know everything is a bit premature, but a kid can always dream can't he? :lol as for the now...i hope to gain as much knowledge as i can...regardless of future plans

To answer my question though...and hopefully my parents is still why UofT charges more...even if its a couple thousand???

Guest peachy

The reason why Ontario schools generally charge more than the rest of Canada, is either because we get less government funding, or because tuition has not been deregulated in some other provinces (not sure about this), or both. Amongst all the states in the US and provinces in Canada, Ontario apparently ranks second last in education funding. The money's gotta come from somewhere.

I don't have any idea why U of T charges more than the other Ontario schools, though.

Guest aneliz

The reason that Ontario schools charge more tuition is because the CAN! (deregulation is a fabulous thing...) The universities have been cut-back in funding by the government and deregulation gives them the ability to make some of that money back through tuition. So they do...

Unfortunately, it seems that the problem is spreading across Canada...the Alberta schools are increasing tuition as is UBC...about the only 'cheap' tuition left is the in-province fee for francophone schools in Quebec.

This is not just a problem affecting med schools though, it is the same story in Law and dentistry and pharmacy and just about any other professional degree program.

Guest kyouou

And its not just proffesional schools either, almost ALL programs have been affected, I heard on the news( I think) that UBC's undergraduate program's tuition went up close to 30% this year.

Guest physiology

Yes that's true..

Tuition at UBC

2001 - $2500

2002 - $3400

2003 - $4100

This is for an undergraduate education in the sciences.

It'll go up to ~$5000 next year and stay there I think.

Professional schools are even worse.

Guest medicator007

Aneliz,

Just a minor correction to your comment regarding tuition in Quebec. It is not ONLY the in-province francophone schools that have low tuition, THANKFULLY the same can be said for in-province fees at the only anglophone medical school :-) The regulation on tuition is province wide.

Cheers,

Medicator

Peachy is correct. The reasons are "both". Ontario schools have deregulated professional programs (by professional, this means MD, DDS, MBA, HBA, etc.) and other schools have only just hopped onto the deregulation boat. The reason for the sharp increase in UBC's fees is due to the provincial government changing.. the NDP (I think it was) had a moratorium on fee increases during their time but they didn't increase funding to schools either, so the quality of education at UBC suffered as a result. Now that the Liberals are in and deregulated, UBC is catching up to the rest of the country. (Someone from UBC correct me if I'm wrong.) I heard that the tuition is going to quadruple from 3,000 to 12,000 over the next 4 years.

UBC's increasing tuition at 30% for science and arts. As for engineering, commerce and pharmacy, the tuition hike is even higher. I'm paying 74% more for my commerce courses than I was last year. This raise in tuition is unlikely to stop until it measures up to the tuition people at UofT are paying. So yeah, although 12K in 4 years is unlikely, 6K in the near future is quite possilbe. (That's just tuition that I'm talking here.)

EMHC

Guest kit115

Here's something just to keep in mind to ease your stress. Yes, UofT is more expensive, but for the first 3 years it is static and the last year it is a little less. Because of the deregulation, UBC, for example, is increasing and by 3rd or 4th year, the difference could be about only $2000 or so (since everything is "projected", hence the "could"). If you don't stress yourself too much about repayment and just take it in strides, several thousand dollars shouldn't be too big a problem to make up over a couple of years when you are a doctor. Just focus on what you want to get out of from the school you choose and try to forget about the money for a bit.

For me, I'm leaving Vancouver for several years to get some experience in Toronto for the very same reason. I'm looking forward to Toronto and the bigger city scene. :)

Archived