Premed 101 Forums

Basic questions that I'm still confused about

So, GPA - Queen's only look at your last two years of undergraduate, and the cGPA that everyone's saying in this forum does not mean cGPA of 4 years but cGPA of your last two years?

If that is the case, and you are applying while you're still completing your 4th year, they will look at your 2nd and 3rd years?

If you are applying after graduation (i.e., if you were still in school, you'd be 5th year), do they look at your 3rd and 4th years?

Oh, and will research experience in physics/biophysics/astrophysics be good enough? or should I get some research experience in Bio fields?

Thanks!

- When people say cGPA they probably mean just that - cumulative GPA over all years. Queen's has two cut-offs: one for cGPA and one for your last two years. You need to make one of these two cut-offs.

- Yes, they'll look at your last two completed full-time years.

- Queen's doesn't consider your biographical sketch directly - only in the sense that it will come up during your interview.

First of all, thanks for the reply =)

So even if you have a ~3.0 cGPA, as long as you have like >3.8 two-year-GPA, you have some chance for interview?

As long as your most recent two years are above that cut-off, then it doesn't matter what your cGPA is. You only have to meet either the cGPA cut-off or the most recent two year GPA cut-off (plus the MCAT cut-off) to receive an interview. After that, your grades and MCAT no longer count.

Best wishes to you.

Elaine

As long as your most recent two years are above that cut-off, then it doesn't matter what your cGPA is. You only have to meet either the cGPA cut-off or the most recent two year GPA cut-off (plus the MCAT cut-off) to receive an interview. After that, your grades and MCAT no longer count.

Best wishes to you.

Elaine

Wow, you've saved my life Elaine! I did so bad (like failing bad) in 2nd year, and I had a major depression and almost killed myself mentally (actually considered suicide). After all, it was only two years of my life that I screwed up, and I can pull it up in 3rd and 4th years!

I really do appreciate your reply. Thank you!

Wow, you've saved my life Elaine! I did so bad (like failing bad) in 2nd year, and I had a major depression and almost killed myself mentally (actually considered suicide). After all, it was only two years of my life that I screwed up, and I can pull it up in 3rd and 4th years!

I really do appreciate your reply. Thank you!

Just remember, all problems are temporary, and where there is a will, there is a way. Just never give up. In Cegep, based upon my grades, I never could have even considered medicine. At university, I am a straight A student and work exceedingly hard and love it. So, we can and do improve over time.

My advice is to look forward, not backward, but learn from the past. Depression is not something you need or can afford moving forward. Have a positive attitude and best of luck!

Archived