Premed 101 Forums

Questions about US residencies!!

:) Hi everyone, I am currently a Canadian Med student, and have some questions concerning US residencies:

1- Are Canadian students considered IMG in terms of their requirement? (Yes I know that we need visa, like ppl from else where, but for the Step 1 stats, the FA lists US/CANADIAN vs FMG, which confuses me...)

2-Do US med students have to do BOTH Step 1 AND 2 before matching--- If not, how about Canadians?

I heard that, Americans: noly step 1, IMG: both 1 and 2 before matching, but Canadians? grey zone for me now...

3- most importantly: If I apply both Canadian and American residencies at the same time, seems that Canadian matching results will come out one wk earlier... so, if I am matched to a Canadian one, does it mean that my matching application is automatically cancelled for American residency?

otherwise stated: if I get BOTH a Canadian AND an American residency, will I HAVE to go to the Canadian one?

Thank you very much!!!:)

Yo,

1. You are Canadian therefore not IMG. US requirements apply as far as stats.

2. Some US students do Step 1 + Step 2 before matching. This depends on the strength of your Step 1 scores. Step 1 is always required.

3. ERAS and CARMS are linked such that as soon as you match via one, you are withdrawn from the other. If the Canadian match results are coming out earlier this year (seemed to me that ERAS was always earlier) then you'll be automatically sloted into Canada.

Cheers.

Thanks ubcredfox,

so that`s why only less than 100 Canadian graduates go to US each year, they didnt even apply CaRMs!?!?

Can you withdraw from CaRMs before the matching result comes out? then take the rist and wait for the US one?

Archived