Premed 101 Forums

does doing a Md and an MSc help in terms of getting a residency

Guest copacetic

Guest copacetic

im a canadian attending Case western in the US and i am able to do a Msc as part of my MD in my fifth year. My ultimate goal is to return to canada for IM residency.

1) will doing a masters in my fifth year of MD help in this goal?

2) also if i were to do a masters, this would be a full year where i was not doing any clinical stuff. would this work against me when applying for residencies?

2) also if i were to do a masters, this would be a full year where i was not doing any clinical stuff. would this work against me when applying for residencies?

1) Research is never looked poorly upon when applying to a specialty, especially when it has relevance to the specialty you are applying to.

2) Not sure...you will want to check with your own school. Some medical schools stop insuring and thus recognizing you as a medical student as soon as you graduate, unless you have made alternate plans. This may make it difficult to do electives, etc. Not sure what bearing it has on CaRMS, however.

im a canadian attending Case western in the US and i am able to do a Msc as part of my MD in my fifth year. My ultimate goal is to return to canada for IM residency.

Will the masters help? Of course, especially if in the relevant field. Will the amount that it helps justify the year off? In my opinion, probably not, especially if you have any previous research experience. Wouldn't it be possible to apply to CARMs for IM only, see if you get matched, and if not then proceed with the masters? Or do you have to decide on this masters track beforehand?

Guest copacetic

im pretty sure i can decided beforehand. i already have research experiences and some abstracts published, but no papers (working on that problem right now) or a masters. the other thing too is that im thinking hard about an academic career. im looking deep into myself trying to figure out if i would be happy in academics or private practice. im sure if i did a Msc it would help with an academic career, especially at big name places, but im also pretty sure that if i did become an academic i wouldnt want to be based at a big name place where you get treated like dirt, and the only benefit is the prestige of begin affiliated with the institution (stupid if you ask me).

Archived