Premed 101 Forums

lifestyle general surgery

hey,

i was wondering if anyone can comment on the lifestyle of general surgery.

from what i've heard you can schedule your OR and your clinic as busy, or as slow as you want. ALSO, you can schedule the types of cases so that they are same day surgery and go home right away.

but from what i've heard, it seems that call is probably the major sticking point. is that right? what are the frequencies people have heard of?

anyways, i want to have a life. but i'd also like to do gen surg. please give advice. :)

anyways, i want to have a life. but i'd also like to do gen surg. please give advice. :)

depends on your definition of life....you can have a life, but your definition of "life" may be laughable to the layperson

9-3, drop your kids off to school, pick them up, play golf on fridays... forget it

you can be relatively chill, but in the best case scenario, still expect 1 in 7 call and at least 7am - 5pm days

Guest copacetic

definition of lifestyle varies. some attendings i know consider working 'only' 60 hours a week a pretty sweet deal. im in the same boat. i wouldnt mind working 70 either, though any more than that is pushing it in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Well let's just say you can't go out clubbing every night!

Honestly it's pretty rough, but we all knew what it was going be like when we chose our speciality. ... Even tough we spend close to 60 hours in the hospital, we're not working (surgically I mean) every minute. There's a lot of time spent checking up on patients, doing follow-ups and charts, learning new procedures, and when we're on call there's time to just hang out and chill - but not too much tough!

Archived