Premed 101 Forums

Applying to med school from concordia

thurga

hi,

I will be going to Concordia University in the Fall 2009 semester. My program is specialization in Cell and Molecular Biology

I want to apply to mcgill med school afterwards. However,

I just wanted to know if there is a specific program that looks better when applying to med school from concordia or is any bachelor sufficient?

any advice/tips/help is appreciated!!

thank you!!

hi,

I will be going to Concordia University in the Fall 2009 semester. My program is specialization in Cell and Molecular Biology

I want to apply to mcgill med school afterwards. However,

I just wanted to know if there is a specific program that looks better when applying to med school from concordia or is any bachelor sufficient?

any advice/tips/help is appreciated!!

thank you!!

Sirop says it exactly as it is.

If you know anybody who has taken/is taking the program, find out what grades are like generally for the courses of study. For example, some profs. may be reluctant to give an A+ or A no matter how hard you work and how well you perform in assignments and the exam. These courses should be avoided simply b/c your GPA will suffer as a result.

So, you need to do your 'due diligence' and have 'local knowledge' in navigating through any program and your choices, including electives. If you know anybody taking this program, they can advise you. And, for example, by going to their "myconcordia.ca" online, hitting 'academic' and then 'grades', you can see the distribution of grades given to the entire class, e.g., how many A+s, etc in the courses your friend is taking. I do not know if this information is generally available, but I would think you would want to seek this information from an Academic Advisor (who would have access to this information but whether he/she would be willing to share it is another matter).

The key is to work your *** off as a priority, ideally enjoy your studies and assignments and make it your most important priority. Also, get involved in volunteering in Montreal, there is such a great choice out there, e.g., EMS Cote St. Luc, Mini-Meds at Montreal Childrens, STEP at Royal Vic and many others.

I am currently doing my second undergrad degree at McGill in Anatomy and Cell Biology but my first degree was at Concordia in Specialization Biology. It doesnt matter at all which program you take as long as you get high marks and do a lot of volunteering. Its also important to take something away from your volunteer experiences. If you just volunteer because you think its what you have to do to get into med school then you shouldnt do it. You need to do it because you want to do it and want to learn something from the experience. Anyways, Ive taken pretty much all the Biology courses that Concordia has to offer so if you need any advice with regards to picking courses or want to know more info about certain instructors you can PM me and I will be happy to help you.

I'm a high school student from Alberta that will be attending Concordia in Fall 2009 in the Biology Specialization Program (I have to complete 30 credits of the Extended Credit Program because I am an out-of-province student).

Right now I'm registering for courses and I've been hearing horror stories on how difficult some professors are. I have nothing against having to work hard but I want to have teachers that are fair with grading. Need to keep my gpa up for med school. Any recommendations for professors?

Sirop says it exactly as it is.

If you know anybody who has taken/is taking the program, find out what grades are like generally for the courses of study. For example, some profs. may be reluctant to give an A+ or A no matter how hard you work and how well you perform in assignments and the exam. These courses should be avoided simply b/c your GPA will suffer as a result.

So, you need to do your 'due diligence' and have 'local knowledge' in navigating through any program and your choices, including electives. If you know anybody taking this program, they can advise you. And, for example, by going to their "myconcordia.ca" online, hitting 'academic' and then 'grades', you can see the distribution of grades given to the entire class, e.g., how many A+s, etc in the courses your friend is taking. I do not know if this information is generally available, but I would think you would want to seek this information from an Academic Advisor (who would have access to this information but whether he/she would be willing to share it is another matter).

The key is to work your *** off as a priority, ideally enjoy your studies and assignments and make it your most important priority. Also, get involved in volunteering in Montreal, there is such a great choice out there, e.g., EMS Cote St. Luc, Mini-Meds at Montreal Childrens, STEP at Royal Vic and many others.

Thank you. I'll look into it. I will try to find someone who is doing the same program for more information. Also, I'm not sure if this is true but does Mcgill Med School give more preference for those who completed their undergrad at Mcgill, or does it not matter? Because, if Mcgill has more priority, then I don't know if I should transfer after my 1st year at Concordia or something along those lines..

Thank you. I'll look into it. I will try to find someone who is doing the same program for more information. Also, I'm not sure if this is true but does Mcgill Med School give more preference for those who completed their undergrad at Mcgill, or does it not matter? Because, if Mcgill has more priority, then I don't know if I should transfer after my 1st year at Concordia or something along those lines..

I believe the simple answer is "NO". They will assess you on the merits of your candidacy and if you shape up competitievly over a McGill graduate, tough luck for the McGill graduate.

You just got some other good news that you won't need to do the MCAT if you limit your med school applications to Quebec med schools - as McGill just announced an exemption from MCAT for Quebec residents who graduate from a Quebec university with effect SEptember 1, 2010.

I'm a high school student from Alberta that will be attending Concordia in Fall 2009 in the Biology Specialization Program (I have to complete 30 credits of the Extended Credit Program because I am an out-of-province student).

Right now I'm registering for courses and I've been hearing horror stories on how difficult some professors are. I have nothing against having to work hard but I want to have teachers that are fair with grading. Need to keep my gpa up for med school. Any recommendations for professors?

I am blind in this department but it is a fair question to ask of an Academic Advisor at Concorda as to the distribution of grades in any particular classes you are considering. In other words, it is reasonable to be told, if you ask, what grades have been handed ouit and if there are 60 in a course, with no A+, 15 A, 5 A-, 30 B+ 10 B, you will know that the highest grade possible is A which is equal to 3.9 (out of 4.0) on the OMSAS scale [A+ - 4.0], and at least you know you have a shot at a 3.9 assuming you are amongst the best in the class. But if there are no As, forget it.

You can change courses later I believe, and whern you arrive, find upper classmen, acquire local knowledge and switch within a couple of days before investing in books. Perhaps others will be more helpful on this thread.

We prepared to work hard in your courses as your priority from the very beginning. I do and it pays off in knoweldge and grades. Good luck.

• 6 months later...

Yes, if you have taken the prerequisities and have a high GPA, you are good to go. For McGill Med, you also need ECs and volunteering, for the French speaking med schools, not so. And if you are OOP, you will need MCAT, whereas if you are IP, no MCAT required. Being IP, your chances of getting in are over 40% with a large no. of seats. Its almost worthwhile to take a year of from studying remaining in Quebec so you qualify as IP!

Archived