Premed 101 Forums

I've been going through a lot in the past 4 years and I haven't been able to achieve the necessary marks for dentistry. I am in a coop program, and I still haven't found a placement in a job that I can see myself doing for the rest of my life. My GPA for the past 4 years is ~3.1-3.2. I'm more driven than ever to do well, and I've dealt with my problems. I know that doing well in one year won't be enough to get me into dentistry. I was thinking about doing a course based master's degree (I've worked in labs, but don't think that reseach based master's degrees are right for me). Could someone tell me how dental schools take graduate degrees into consideration. Thanks.

By your name I'll assume your an Ontario resident. Unfortunately uwo and uft don't give much information with regards as to exactly how much more competitive you are with a masters. What uwo says is that a graduate degree will give bonus marks but will not offset non competitive marks. I'm afraid with a gpa of 3.1 you will not get accepted even with a masters. What you could do however is do another undergrad degree (takes 2 years), if you get over 85% average then your in business.

BTW uwo takes best 2 years and uwo drops your worst year, hopefully that helps.

I went back to school for another semester just to retake courses I didn't do well in. It boosted my average a few percent and got me 3 interviews and so far 1 acceptance.... and my average wasn't even that high, went from 80 to an 82%. The previous year of applying only got me waitlisted. Up the marks and apply to the States, I think you'd have a better chance there.

Archived