Premed 101 Forums

Little Help

OK,

So I just got rejected by Canadian Schools my first time applying (applied to U of T, Queen's, Ottawa - only interviewed at U of T, but rejected).

I want to apply more widely this time, and that includes apps to the states. But my initial intention was to rewrite the MCAT (I got an O in the written, which I think killed my chances at Queen's). But now I'm on the these forums, and everyone is saying to apply super early. I was hoping to improve my app a bit over the summer, and put it in later on, i.e. around the same time as my Canadian apps. How important is it to have your apps in early? And does the written section matter much in the States. And feel free to comment in general on my chances.

Also, I didn't take phsyics in my undergrad - do I need to get on that? And does it need to be completed before I apply?

My Mcat is 11B/13V/11P with the O in the written. And my ontario cGPA was around 3.77 (with the amcas calculations, it appears I will be 3.8+ in the states).

Any input with respect to the importance of applying early, whether I should bother with rewriting the MCAT, what Schools to apply to, or threads/websites with the information I am looking for would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for all the questions/the long post. Thanks in advance!

yes nobody really cares about the WS. you need to consult with MSAR regarding the physics requirement but it might well be that all schools will require it.. definitely take a look. and applying early (as in june or early july) i think is very important judging from what i have been reading here and at studentdoctor forums (u should check them out.. google the name i don't wanna put a link maybe mods won't like it lol)

but unless what you are waiting for is REALLy important like perhaps a cell paper.. then i say apply early. and if you really believe that you don't have a good chance due to lack of certain requiments then maybe you shouldn't apply because it doesn't look too good to apply twice in the US and it's VERY expensive

yes nobody really cares about the WS. you need to consult with MSAR regarding the physics requirement but it might well be that all schools will require it.. definitely take a look. and applying early (as in june or early july) i think is very important judging from what i have been reading here and at studentdoctor forums (u should check them out.. google the name i don't wanna put a link maybe mods won't like it lol)

but unless what you are waiting for is REALLy important like perhaps a cell paper.. then i say apply early. and if you really believe that you don't have a good chance due to lack of certain requiments then maybe you shouldn't apply because it doesn't look too good to apply twice in the US and it's VERY expensive

Basically the only reason I would wait to apply would be to 1) get some more volunteer stuff (although I realize this is last minute to add new stuff, I was somewhat hoping to do new stuff over the summer) and 2) to re-write the mcat. Although if the WS doesn't matter, then a 35 should be good for most US schools, correct?

Yeah your MCAT is great. and I don't think you should wait if it's only some summer volunteering.

You will get a chance to talk about it if you want when writing your secondary essays for each individual school. Some people send letters of intent to schools after they send their secondaries and in those letters you can update the adcoms if you have any significant new experiences etc. those extra letters that you send can get you an interview or an acceptance sometimes it seems!

Yeah your MCAT is great. and I don't think you should wait if it's only some summer volunteering.

You will get a chance to talk about it if you want when writing your secondary essays for each individual school. Some people send letters of intent to schools after they send their secondaries and in those letters you can update the adcoms if you have any significant new experiences etc. those extra letters that you send can get you an interview or an acceptance sometimes it seems!

Thanks for the responses guys. So much stuff that I need to figure out about the American schools. Guess I'll get in gear on putting together my app for June!

OK I'm not done. Next question - Do I have a shot at top tier schools with my stats? I know it is not just based on marks/mcat - my volunteer is so so, though I've been working on it the past year, I play lots of sports, and I've got a pretty solid publication records (6 or 7 pubs including my M.Sc. thesis, one first author - although they are biotech journals like bioinformatics and Recombination). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and to save you from scrolling to the top, I have a amcas GPA of around 3.83 and an mcat of 11P 13V 11B.

Guest viscous
OK,

So I just got rejected by Canadian Schools my first time applying (applied to U of T, Queen's, Ottawa - only interviewed at U of T, but rejected).

I want to apply more widely this time, and that includes apps to the states. But my initial intention was to rewrite the MCAT (I got an O in the written, which I think killed my chances at Queen's). But now I'm on the these forums, and everyone is saying to apply super early. I was hoping to improve my app a bit over the summer, and put it in later on, i.e. around the same time as my Canadian apps. How important is it to have your apps in early? And does the written section matter much in the States. And feel free to comment in general on my chances.

Also, I didn't take phsyics in my undergrad - do I need to get on that? And does it need to be completed before I apply?

My Mcat is 11B/13V/11P with the O in the written. And my ontario cGPA was around 3.77 (with the amcas calculations, it appears I will be 3.8+ in the states).

Any input with respect to the importance of applying early, whether I should bother with rewriting the MCAT, what Schools to apply to, or threads/websites with the information I am looking for would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for all the questions/the long post. Thanks in advance!

you got interview at UT with a 3.77 cgpa? are you a grad student?

OK I'm not done. Next question - Do I have a shot at top tier schools with my stats? I know it is not just based on marks/mcat - my volunteer is so so, though I've been working on it the past year, I play lots of sports, and I've got a pretty solid publication records (6 or 7 pubs including my M.Sc. thesis, one first author - although they are biotech journals like bioinformatics and Recombination). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and to save you from scrolling to the top, I have a amcas GPA of around 3.83 and an mcat of 11P 13V 11B.

IMO yes. Research, good stats, volunteering (note: it has to be clinical), and non-academic ECs. You just need a really snappy personal statement.

IMO yes. Research, good stats, volunteering (note: it has to be clinical), and non-academic ECs. You just need a really snappy personal statement.

I've shadowed and I currently volunteer as a support care worker in a hospice for people dying of AIDs/HIV. Think that would cut it?

IMO I think you have a great shot..don't underestimate yourself (if theres anything I've learned over the last year, its this!).

Your clinical volunteer work sounds good, especially because it’s not your typical hospital volunteer job, and is maybe something personal to you? Even if it’s not, I’m sure you’ll have some great experiences to recall during interviews. Anyways, your research, MCAT and gpa all indicate you would have a good shot at a top tier..apply early, broadly, yet wisely! No point in applying to schools that a) you have no interest in attending B) you know don’t accept Canadians readily.

Having said that, I’m sure you will do well next round in Canada as well..try applying out of province!

IMO I think you have a great shot..don't underestimate yourself (if theres anything I've learned over the last year, its this!).

Your clinical volunteer work sounds good, especially because it’s not your typical hospital volunteer job, and is maybe something personal to you? Even if it’s not, I’m sure you’ll have some great experiences to recall during interviews. Anyways, your research, MCAT and gpa all indicate you would have a good shot at a top tier..apply early, broadly, yet wisely! No point in applying to schools that a) you have no interest in attending B) you know don’t accept Canadians readily.

Having said that, I’m sure you will do well next round in Canada as well..try applying out of province!

Thanks for the positive response SpanishFly. I definitely intend to apply out of province next year.

Another question, this regarding prereqs. I've noticed most schools require you to have taken a year of physics. I, unfortunately, have not. Is this something that is required to apply, or is it sufficient to complete the courses before the school year starts? Or do you have the course on the transcripts you send in showing that you are taking the course?

Thanks a lot!

Archived