Premed 101 Forums

Summer rotations

Hi

I am just finishing up my 1st year of med and I am looking forward to do some shadowing and figuring out what I am interested in.

I was wondring if anyone know of a structured cleckship/rotation at any hospital across canada that first years can take part in?

Does anyone know of a international hospital that this can be done at?

if not, any advice on how to try to maximize my time in exposing myself to different fields? I am really not sure of what I really like and I feel like I need to know sooner rather later...

how are everyone deciding on a desipline?

thanks in advance

Your own school should be able to provide you with opportunities for electives/observerships. That is probably your best bet since you won`t have to make formal applications and pay alot of extra $$$ for away electives. Also, most schools will only take 3-4 years for away electives.

It is a really good idea to do these kinds of things early on. Part of me wishes I had done more!

By international hospitals, where specifically do you mean? Do you mean developped countried or developing countries?

There are exchanges through CFMS every year that can faciliate international experiences....but it is a lottery system. (and a fishy one at that, it seemed in my second year it was all first years that got placed).

International electives generally take some time to set up and if you are looking at this summer, it is likely a bit too late.

In terms of electives in developing countries, there is often little training/support in these environments, and I really recommend that students wait until their senior years to both get more out of it and also to contribute more. Health systems are already burdened in these countries and unless you can contribute something, you would just be adding to the burden imo.

Check with the different hospitals? Most of the hospitals in Michigan here have structured programs for the summer after 1st year. These probably exist in Canada too.

I'm doing 5 1-week rotations in different specialities because I am also unsure of what I want to do (though I think I have a very good idea now!). I'm just following the team around and also spending time in the clinics. The residents get to practice their pimping skills on me and I get to practice being pimped in a non-hostile environment.

Archived